1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How far do you think you could jog?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Someone on the Boston Marathon thread joked (I think) that he couldn't run two miles in 2 hours and 3 minutes, let alone 26.2 miles in that time.

I remember when I first started running for fitness a few years ago, a mile seemed daunting. In the last year, I've run as far as 15 (not that it is was easy). Not sure how far I could right now, but probably about that.

How far would you be confident jogging?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

2 short blocks. No, I'm not kidding.

I got stuck in horrendous traffic yesterday on the way to work. It took me an hour and 10 minutes to go 9.5 miles. The Boston Marathon winners could have run there a lot faster.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Four miles is about my absolute limit, and I'd limp for a month if I pushed myself that far.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know I can jog 5 miles. Haven't pushed myself farther than that yet, but I'm hoping to run in a big local 10-miler this summer. Gotta start getting more road miles in as the weather warms, though.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

14 miles. [/Oh wait this isn't 1990]

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

-David Lee Roth

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully 3.1 miles since I'm in a 5K on Saturday!

Seriously, that's about as far as I can handle these days. Although, in the somewhat recent past, I've jogged the first 5 to 5.5 miles of a 7-mile road race before having to walk a block or so.

The key word is "jogged."

To do a marathon in, say, the 3-hour range, you've got to be running like a 7-minute mile ... for 26.2 miles. That's called "running."

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

To the Beer Store and back.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Recommendation: point the mouth of the can away from you when you flip the tab.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

From here to there (but not back again).

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

To the bathroom

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I used to run marathons, but now I'm happy doing 4-5 miles a day.

Draft saved Draft deleted