1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How far before hotel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, yeah. In theory. But a lot of people work for idiots.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, folks, I was focused on not going on the road for an assignment, sans hotel room option other than from my own pocket, at the company's request/demand.

If it were a story or event where I could get a great clip (to get me out of Podunk) or have a great experience doing it, maybe I'd pay for my own night's lodging. On an "exception only" basis. If, in other words, I got something out of the deal besides the day's pay.

But to pick up legitimate travel expenses on an assignment the company wants me to cover, rather than one I actively want to do? Nope. It's a phoner or it's skipped. Life goes on. Kids can still get new pairs of shoes if I don't pay for a night at Motel 6.

And playthrough, regarding the anal beancounter: It was mileage to and from a venue I worked regularly, and he found out I was off (from the MapQuest number, which might be "as the crow flies" for all I know) by a couple miles. So, genius that he is, he multiplied 2 miles X however many times I go there and "felt it necessary to call this to" my attention.

I told him, hey, you're forgetting the miles I spend corkscrewing up and down the parking ramp.

This guy would have us driving backwards if he thought the odometer wouldn't turn that way. ::)

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Exactly, Bat. I've done that and turned in a mileage voucher clearly showing that it would have been cheaper to pay for the $40 hotel room as opposed to the mileage. Deaf ears.

No wonder our business is in trouble with Einsteins like these guys doing the books.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This has been a great thread---one of the best I"ve seen in 3 years visiting this site.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I hear ya Cosmo. I really do. But I've always been the kind of guy who thinks, "You never know what will happen." I'll be damned if I don't go to a road game and Johnny Ballgame scores 56 points, or Pepe Roni returns a blocked field goal 102 yards on the last play to beat Bumblefuck for the first time in 15 years.

Of course, management never needs to know when I pay out of pocket because you're right - that's a whole different can of worms I'd rather not open.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or when the travel folks book you a $350 flight and $150 rental car for a trip, while you found rates at $220 and $100 on your own. But noooo, they can't use those, they have to use the company's travel group or the legacy airlines or whatever. Complete idiocy.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If a newspaper deems an event a 2 1/2 hour drive or more away worthy of covering and it's a night game, guess what newspaper? The reporter should be staying all night. Period.
    Can you imagine one of the editors doing a drive the same day up and back road trip?? Ha.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Except that some of them would -- like, once every 10 years for some seminar or something -- and then they'd use that as an example why their reporters and photographers should do it on a weekly basis.

9. accguy

accguy Member

The other thing to consider, in my estimation, is the time of the year. I'm a lot more willing to drive at night during the spring, summer and fall than I am in the winter.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Again, to me, that's irrelevant. I missed a game last year in which the team I cover blew two huge leads and lost in double overtime. The paper said the only way I could go was to drive 4 1/2 hours each way down and back. No hotel. No thanks.

I don't care. They either send me or they don't send me. If THEY don't get the story, that's THEIR choice. Maybe it'll make them think next time ... hmm, we should have had someone there.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cosmo I think you have the right attitude. It's their coverage and their decision. You don't drive nine hours in one day.
    A 4.5 hour trip should mean going the night before and coming back after the game the next day if it's a day game.
    If it's a night game, go down the day of the game and stay all night.
    If the paper doesn't want to do that it is the paper's loss.
    Not yours.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what I've done four times now in the last three years. One time it was to Austin. I stayed at a nice Holiday Inn and still made out like a bandit.

Draft saved Draft deleted