1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How far before hotel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Anything that has you driving and more than 50 miles away at midnight gets a hotel room.

If editor or bean counter disagrees, ask them to contact the corporate attorney for a second opinion.

Better yet, have them contact your Workman's Comp carrier for a third opinion, as in who's on the hook if I fall asleep at the wheel in the performance of my job and I kill a family of five in my sleep?

Another tactic: invite said editor or bean counter to accompany you on the trip---as your chauffeur. I assume both would be exempt employees, so number of hours worked by them not an issue---and they have to pay their own way into the game should they decide to go. Otherwise, they can go sit and wait in a nearby Mickey D's or Starbucks until you are done filing and ready to return home

Works every time.

2. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Flat-out awesome reply -- one of the best of 2009.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Our rule is pretty much if it's in state, you're doing the old back-and-forth. Everything is within four hours of us in all directions, so it's not terrible trips. At the same time, our current SE is pretty cool about getting us approved for rooms if the trip will require us driving late into the night.

But it hasn't always been that nice. I worked for a notoriously cheap company. I don't believe I have to name the company, but it starts with a big G and rhymes with Annette.

My worst ever experience was an 8-hour drive to cover a 2:30 p.m. game and driving halfway back that night. It was quite possibly the worst two days of my life. I covered a prep game the Friday night, then immediately got on the road after deadline to get to my destination in time to freshen up a bit.

I was actually "scheduled" to drive back that night after the game, but after literally falling asleep at the wheel three times, I pulled over about halfway home and rented a $49 a night room. The worst part? I had to be back in time to do desk Sunday night. The even shittier part? They didn't even reimburse the $49 a night room because it wasn't approved prior to the trip.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This subject of travel is so depressing because in many instances it shows us what management really thinks of us, which is nothing.
    Let's face it. They easily will put our lives in jeopardy to save the money of a hotel. Facts are facts. Bastards.
    And I won't say ALL places. I'll say many.
    These same beancounters would NEVER EVER drive four hours, cover a game, and drive back at 11 p.m. and get home at 3-4 a.m.
    It's a part of "journalism" I won't miss when papers finally, mercifully die.

Note, you rarely hear of sports reporters getting in car crashes that kill them after falling asleep at the wheel after covering events. Why? Because sports reporters are fucking studs compared to the dumbasses who won't get them a hotel.

I will say I've known sports editors who have been told to put their people in Motel Six's on the road and they've balked to management and simply said no. They don't put them up in palaces, but no Motel Six's either. Other SE's I've known have no power in the matter and just tell these guys to drive back or pay for the hotel on their own. Amazing.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our paper is stupid about travel. They'll balk at staying at a fleabag but won't bat an eye if you turn in a mileage sheet showing you went there and back twice for a two-day event.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You could stay at the fleabag and just fold the charge into mileage. Most beancounters would never know, allowing their blood pressure and yours to stay nicely level.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nope. Had a beancounter who would MapQuest every mileage statement he processed. And question you if your estimate was off by more than 2-3 miles roundtrip.

Any place that expects me to pay for my own hotel room doesn't get me on the road for that assignment. Period.

And state borders have nothing to do with nothing. If it's more than an hour's drive after coverage of a night event, I'm either getting a room or not going. If it's more than three hours' drive after coverage of day event, either I'm getting a room that night or I already had one the night before to be on site. Period.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I wish I shared that attitude. And while the ME or publisher wouldn't give a rat salad if I took a couple phone calls for a key conference game that I chose not to cover because they wouldn't approve a hotel room, I would care. I'm not about to open that can of worms.

"Well, look at the job he did without going on the road at all. We're going to cut all road trips. you guys can start doing it over the phone. Listen to the radio broadcast if you have to."

Our readers deserve better. It sucks I may have to stay at the Bates Motel, but I'm not going to compromise the way I do my job - and the others on staff - so management can save a few bucks.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, just when I think I've heard the most anal beancounter story...so if you took a wrong turn that added up to a few miles, he made you eat it?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

See, now we're getting into a matter of principle here, king. Five years ago, I would have felt like you do. But considering we continue to take it up the cornhole on everything from pay cuts, to furloughs, to space cuts, etc., I just don't have the willingness to "suck it up" and pay my own way for the good of the readers. For one, management will then expect you to do that all the time, so when there's a big event that really is worthy of a hotel room, you'll hear, "well, you paid for it out of pocket before, why not now?"

As Joe said, if they're not paying, I'm not going. I will not allow the company I work for to walk all over me for "the good of the readers."

As for the hotel question, if it means I'm getting home later than 1 a.m., i get a hotel. Not coincidentally, I don't travel for league basketball road games that are farther than two hours away any more. The paper doesn't want to pay for those trips, so I don't go. Does it compromise my beat? Sure. But that's the paper's problem. That's how they want it.

I've got a media day coming up next week, three hours each way. The actual session runs from about 12-3:30. I'll probably be done writing by 7 or so, so I'll be going down and back in the same day because I'd rather sleep in my own bed that night.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good post, Joe. If hotel expenses get shifted to reporters the next thing you know, you'll be supplying your own computers, notebooks and pens.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rule of thumb: If you are at an event on the road and can't make it home because of fatigue, get the room.

Draft saved Draft deleted