1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How ESPN crapped the bed on the Nevin Shapiro story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Keep fishing DD :)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, rather than write something relevant, let's waste another column ripping someone for writing something relevant.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good Lord is that a terrible column. The information presented in Charles Robinson's story cannot be presented because it doesn't detail drug use?

4. Mizzougrad96

I'd be curious the number of columns Whitlock has written in the past year where he's ripped another writer.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That column reads like, "Everyone's calling Charles Robinson, so let's get them to call me about Charles Robinson."

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of all his beating-the-dead-horse topics, the one good one Whitlock has hit on is ESPN's constant and pervasive conflict of interest in everything it does. But that's exactly how this one reads: trying to assail the work of the website you're most in competition with, using some weird irrational argument in an attempt to change the questions.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I, for one, am glad Whitlock rips writers, even if I don't always agree with everything he says. Journalists need to be questioned. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, as they say.

As for those of you that think this should win a Pulitzer, why? What public service does this story serve? People have known the system has worked this way for years-unfortunately, fans, journalists, and politicians seem more concerned with the "unfairness" of the BCS than the unfairness of this system to the players. Robinson himself is on record as supporting stronger enforcement of the rules as opposed to a complete reformation of a broken system.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like that Whitlock is willing to go against the grain.He did so with the Duke Lax story and was one of few asking why Barry Bonds was the sole poster child poster child for PED's, when there were plenty.

Turned out that he was right on both.

9. Mizzougrad96

I always respected that about Whitlock. He was willing to go after ESPN when almost nobody was willing to go after ESPN.

Now, I get the impression that he just surveys the sports landscape, figures out what the biggest story of the week is and then writes a story ripping the people who reported it.

10. Fixed it for you

11. Mizzougrad96

Nice fix. :D

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Means he's rich. Doesn't mean he's necessarily responsible or credible.

Draft saved Draft deleted