1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How ESPN crapped the bed on the Nevin Shapiro story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/08/29/media-musings-the-tug-of-war-for-nevin-shapiro-and-willie-lyles/

2. Mizzougrad96

Re: How ESPN shit the bed on the Nevin Shapiro story

From the story...

A source at ESPN tells me that Kelly Naqi – known best for breaking the USC-OJ Mayo story in 2008 – didn’t just make a run at Shapiro – she logged about 10 hours at the jail conducting interviews with him. (ESPN confirmed this, saying Naqi visited Shapiro in jail twice.)

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: How ESPN shit the bed on the Nevin Shapiro story

Interesting debate.

Just as an aside, though, You know Moddy is going to flip if he sees the word "shit" in the header to your topic. So maybe swap that one out.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's changed to crapped. :D

I just think it's amazing that Naqi logged 10 hours with the guy and ESPN has nothing to show for it.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's the part I don't get: If they 'gave' the story to Robinson/Yahoo, what were they giving Kelly for 10 hours?

I have to believe those two visits amounted to nothing more than an audition, and whatever she got during that time was just superficial.

6. Mizzougrad96

That's one long audition...

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If she didn't get the phone records and pictures and all that, what could she possibly have to show for it? "Swindler says he gave football players lots of stuff"

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

While Fozzie Bear raises some very legitimate questions in his post about ESPN's numerous conflicts of interest in regards to college football, you can't discount the Charles Robinson factor. He is simply in another league when it comes to digging up crap and getting shady bastards to talk.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I agree. The better discussion has been not how someone else didn't get the story, but how he did.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

I have to drive to the office to write a story about the coverage of a breaking news item. It's navel-gazing stuff like this--two weeks after the fact with little ground-breaking new information but lots of conjecture that anyone even on the periphery of the industry was talking about as soon as the story broke--that makes me huge.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ESPN will break the story that Miami will self impose stringent sanctions, like no more 3-ways with underage hookers, limiting leases on new cars to freshman to corresponding 1 year scholarships and reducing the unofficial visits prospective high school free agents can make to that party house in the Grove.

ESPN will then spend countless hours over the following weeks discussing how the new, self imposed, punishment will be enough to satisfy the NCAA and their media and BCS partners. Donna Shalala's resignation was unnecessary, but we can all trust incoming president Condi Rice to run a transparent Athletic Department

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The Fozzie connection is perfect here, because the first time Kelly Naqi's name came up on this board, I can distinctly recall the semi famous quote, 'Is she hot??'

Draft saved Draft deleted