1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Editors Judge What Job Applicants Bring 2 The Table

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, May 21, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Listen kids, the beat in question is by far the biggest beat in town. So of course they're going to want you to jump through hoops to get it. If you're going to complain about the requirements to even apply for the beat, then don't apply, but the women's beat is the biggest beat in town. So expect hell. Expect readers jumping down your throat if you do a bad job. Expect to jump through hoops to get the job and quit bitching.

It's becoming a pattern with some on here to complain about the requirements to apply or interview for jobs. Get over it. This business is tough and more tough times are ahead. Let someone who wants to work for a job work for it, if you're not willing.

2. You're on the fast track for management.

Come on, this isn't the Yankees beat for the Daily News. I'm all for properly vetting candidates, but this seems more like an editor on a power trip.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Spup, you're overall premise couldn't be more correct, especially on the essay part. There's nothing unrealistic about that at all.

That said, it is a bit unrealistic and more than a bit reeking of a fishing expedition to expect you to not only come up with four enterprise stories, but provide sources for those stories.

What kind of message does that send to the unsuccessful applicants? We're not going to hire you, but these story ideas are great!

Ben Hecht's take is dead-on nails. I'd go thermonuclear if I saw one of those in print.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

But in Springfield, Mo., this is the Yankees beat. If you did some research on what drives Springfield's fans, you'd see that it's the Lady Bears, prep sports, then the men's team and Springfield Cardinals.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think they'll weed out quite a few candidates with bad ideas. When I read it, I didn't read that they'd be writing the stories. They'd be giving them ideas with sources. It's fair for anyone to ask them to do some research on the team. If I were hiring someone and they came in without a clue to who coaches, trainers, experts, etc. in town were, I'd be pretty angry because we'd be behind and having to teach this new person who everyone is.

And the SID at Missouri State is a great guy, but he can be a bit gruff. It's going to take an aggressive person with initiative to get through the exterior and develop the relationship. A little reaching out prior to the interview wouldn't hurt anything, especially if you're trying to learn more about Missouri State athletics -- a place he knows better than anyone and loves.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who IS this editor?

From what sainted mount did he descend?

And I LOVE lono's test. Love it.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I love Lono's test as well.

Joey Ramone would be a no-brainer. The guy put together a remarkable stock portfolio and could discuss issues ranging from P/E ratios to EU happenings.

So is Bushmills, which is the ONLY way to make a good Irish Coffee.

And Spup, it's a given that nobody's writing a story. But to ask for story ideas and a complete list of sources is a fishing expedition.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I believe Don Wyatt is the executive editor, Pam Clark the sports editor.

9. Perhaps spup IS Don Wyatt. ;D

Gotta go slack off some more. Rest up for my next set of complaints in this tough, tough business that is unforgiving of my ilk.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm not Don Wyatt. I've just seen you complain twice in two weeks that you can't get an interview because your driving record wasn't good enough and now that you have to do some extra work. God forbid I see a pattern.

11. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Once was in email/phone interviews for a feature editor position. I critiqued the section, gave my thoughts on what I would do with the section. Included in my emails was a description of a what I would look for in a designer/copy editor if I were hiring. Didn't get the job. They promoted from within. Fine. Two months later the paper has an opening for a features designer. Lifted wholesale from my emails was my five sentence description of what I would look for in a features designer.

12. Wait a minute. To apply -- not even interview -- for a job (a bad job, at that), you have to know "coaches, trainers, experts in town." That's hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted