1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Editors Judge What Job Applicants Bring 2 The Table

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, May 21, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree, all I was saying is he should lok at the essay as a chance to show off his column writing on a topic they gave him.

But I agree that it is a bit much.

One place I was looking prior to my current shop asked me in an interview if I had some story ideas for a certain beat I was interested in continuing to cover at their place.
    I said I sure do, and if I'm hired you'll get every last one of them.
    Didn't get hired, but didn't give the competition my ideas that I was able to use at my current place.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The four story ideas is kind of like an acquaintance's requirements to intern with a D-League team. He had to come up with marketing ideas for the interview. Like I said in the job board – bush league.

The paper already wants someone with experience, but obviously doesn't know how to hire the right people because the EE and SE can't come up with good story ideas on their own.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And these aren't even generic story ideas. They want you to do research for them, on your time, and then give them the results. Bugs me too. To me, if you have clips that demonstrate the ability to do creative features, that should be evidence that once you get acquainted with the beat, you'll do the same there.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It might be a bit much. But, it's a choice.
    You want to be considered for the position? You do it.
    Giving candidates sections to critique and/or asking for story story ideas isn't exactly breaking new ground.
    ------------
    Oh, and 1,000 story ideas doesn't equate to the Knight Ridder management/logic examination.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Once you take it, you don't have to take it again. They keep it on file.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Maybe all this homework is their way of saying: "If you already have a job and don't have time to learn all about Missouri State basketball, well, you're overqualified."

I'm thinking they're thinking this is entry-level 20-25k stuff and they are trying to wade through the target audience.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. It's also stuck in your DNA.
    I ended up getting the position, then turning it down and staying put.
    But, good God, that was horrible.

8. BrianGriffin

I disagree with your assessment from this standpoint: If you already have a job, but are looking to move for whatever reason, you could very well be turned off by all the work you are being asked to do for this job because of your pre-existing work responsibilities. I'm not interested in this job, but if I was, I think I'd have a hard time learning the ins-and-outs of Missouri State women's basketball (or whatever) while still giving my current job responsibilities their due (yet, I have time to post on a message boad, ha).

So if you, as an employer, want to limit your search to those who are A. fresh out of school, with nothing to do, B. Unemployed veterans (and why are they unemployed? We all know unemployed journalists who are unemployed, or waiting tables, because they got a raw deal. But we probably know more unemployed journalists who were lazy, incompetent, unreliable, etc., etc.) or C. Willing to blow off their responsibilities at their current job in order to pursue a job search (thus putting themselves at risk of falling under category "B") then you should knock yourself out.

Methinks it would be wiser to treat employed veterans like employed veterans and newcomers like newcomers.

9. BrianGriffin

I think it can be summed up like this:

Need a job and this one is better than the other ones that are out there? Write the fucking essay and shut up.
    Are you the one doing the hiring? Quit treating your hiring process like it's a sophomore year mid-term test.

As far as the Knight-Ridder exam, I say once you get them to come for an interview, then you can put them through all the Jack Bauer inhumanity you want. HOWEVER, to me there's a difference between the process of those being interviewed and the initial application process.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This was not just come up with some story ideas, and pitch why they'd be good to do. This was, do all the research, outline and explain all that, and the story, with all the whys wherefores. In other words, essentially, do the stories -- four of them -- along with the essay/column, on your time and dime.

It's too much when somebody doesn't work for you yet, and shouldn't be necessary after clips, cover letters, references and interviews, staff meetings/lunches, etc. are completed.

I've never had the "pleasure" of the KR management test, but would be curious to see it, and maybe take it, too. I don't doubt that it's challenging.

I think my view of that test would be different than for these demands, however, just because my expectations for a manager -- or any would-be manager -- are considerably higher and more stringent. They come with the job, and it goes with the territory.

11. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Important question: Are we talking fresh-out-of-high-school Donna Martin who was saving herself and would have been clingy as hell or are we talking the one who had been around the block a few times by series finale time?
    I'm just sayin'...

Also, it's now the Rays. Not the Devil Rays. And if you have more team name changes than winning seasons, I'd say you are off to a great start toward worst professional franchise.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If you don't want the job, don't do what they ask. If you do, write yourself an essay and come up with four ideas.

Does it take a little extra effort? Sure. But it stands to reason the guy who quibbles over assignments that would take, at best, two hours to fulfill is not likely to do the really mundane stuff (open practices/recruiting/source-building).

Draft saved Draft deleted