1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How early is too early for Christmas decorations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Our local Wal-Mart had both up at the same time, side by side, so it looked like the electronic skeletons were trying to catch the electric Santas.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, in our family, we put up the tree Thanksgiving night or the next day. It probably helped the Christmas atmosphere that the Plaza lights in Kansas City always get turned on Thanksgiving night. Agree on Jan. 2, though fudging it to whenever's it convenient for me close to that date is OK, too.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Walmart has Christmas stuff in the stores in September and was playing Christmas music before Halloween.
    A radio station in detroit began playing Christmas music 24-7 on Nov. 5. it's all too early but since we have to spend money now...
    Black Friday is fine with me... last year, I put lights up day after Thanksgiving with help from my father... wonder if he'll come in from Minneapolis to help this year.

4. When I was a manager of the music department at Borders several years back I had a firm rule regarding Christmas music being played in the store:

No Christmas music before Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving one Christmas album would be added to the 6-CD changer each week. The week prior to Christmas all six CDs would be Christmas discs. And absolutely no novelty discs...except for the Spike Jones Christmas album. That one was ok.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A few houses in my town have the lights on the roof (along the eaves and the peak) already blazing.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And now we get two months of those fucking insipid "Heeeeee went to Jared!" commercials, along with those fucking Kay jewelers ones with that awful Vanessa Carlton song. Tis the season.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My apologies to Key jewelers. They have the "Every Kiss Begins With Kay" craptasic commercials, not the Vanessa Carlton song. That belongs to Zales. Fuck 'em all. Bah Humbug.

8. "I love this woman!!!"

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Hey we had to put up Xmas lights Thursday night to celebrate my New Year.

However, this is too early.

Someone is hired to decorate my office for Xmas on November 30th and it comes down on January 2nd.

At home, tree goes up December 24th and down on January 2nd.

I know someone who puts up everything on December 24th and takes down everything on December 26th. Now that's quick.

Malls are playing Xmas music.There should be a ban of playing that sort of music until December 1st.

ANd the freakin Shopping Channel in Canada is already doled out for xmas. I mean can't we let Hallowe'en and Remembrance Day pass before decking the effin halls?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree, and for the same reason. Of course, for me Thanksgiving also has more meaning for me because of my recovery from cancer at that time last year.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I held out as long as I could.

My friends adopted the "If the malls can do it, so can I" policy and busted out the holiday tunes, decorations, etc. way before Thanksgiving. I told myself I'd wait until Dec. 1.

Then I saw the Budweiser Clydesdales trotting through the snow on NBC last night. That's when I gave up. That's the official signal for me. The Christmas season has started.

Bring on John Denver and the Muppets' "A Christmas Together" album (an EmbassyRow family tradition).

Draft saved Draft deleted