1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How early is too early for Christmas decorations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Nov 9, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Is it just the NY/NJ area, or did the whole country forget that there's a major holiday between Halloween & Christmas? My office building already has freakin' wreaths and lights strung up all over the place, and several stores I walk by on my way to work have Christmas displays. WTF, Thanksgiving is nothing to get excited or decked out for? Good fuckin' grief.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I can't answer until there's a poll with at least 35 options.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Anytime before the day after Thanksgiving. On this I will not yield.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Seems like it gets earlier every year.

I always thought anything before Thanksgiving is ridiculous. One solid month of Christmas garbage is enough.

On Dec. 1 every year my favorite classic rock radio station turns over to Christmas music....ugh.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outstanding. For that I will not beat your wife tonight, Andy.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Touche

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Me too.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

My sister's birthday is Dec. 14, so we always went out to buy a tree that night or the next day. And mom always took the stuff down (but not before my sister and I posed in front of the tree) on New Year's Day. That always seemed reasonable to me...though my wife is more into the decorating than I am, so we put up the fake tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I guess that's reasonable too [/damn straight it is says my wife :D].

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And Ms. Capp thanks you for that.

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Since finding time to decorate together is tough with us working different hours Mrs. Fear and I always put up our tree and decorate the Friday after Thanksgiving and we take it down the first weekend after New Year's.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Where ya been? There's been Christmas decorations up before Halloween for a few years now.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

We had this exact same discussion last year, didn't we?

They go up Dec. 1, come down Jan. 2. At least that's the way it'll be when I grow up.

Draft saved Draft deleted