1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Drudge Has Stayed on Top

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 15, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting article about the sustained influence of the Drudge Report:

2. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Hadn't been to the site in ... 10 years(?) until tonight.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I have a co-worker who adores the site. Next to him is another co-worker who scrolls mediatakeout.com. I enjoy strolling behind them and appreciating the stark contrast.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

On top of what?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The nice thing about Drudge - by just glancing at the page you can figure out what Fox News will be talking about. Has he broken anything since his exclusive that John Kerry was having a baby with a staffer? And no, I'm not confused. Drudge wrote that Kerry and a staffer were having a kid - turned out Drudge was wrong.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sure. Just a week or so ago he broke the story that the White House decided to release the Bin Laden photos.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's been riding that stained dress for years.

Most guys with his batting average aren't doing nearly as well as he is.

People love his particular collection of links.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Like many threads on this site, you can get the faint whiff here of penis envy.

That said, the moral of the story – and there is one – is that flash animations and "sexy" slideshows and imbedded videos don't (have to) matter nearly as much as having timely updates and a wide sweep of interesting links.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Drudge is the real deal, unafraid to offend the so called politically correct elite.

He also allows callers to talk, unlike Hannity.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Plus 1.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, regardless of politics, isn't that a heartening thing to see?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I was a junior in college we talked about The Drudge Report nonstop in one of my media classes. Media History, I think, or Advanced Reporting, as an example of what the hot new thing was and where media was going. It was considered very cutting edge, but I didn't quite understand the appeal, or how anyone would ever go to the Internet for their news. Isn't that where you go hook up?

Reading how old the site is makes me feel old for the second time today. The other time was when I had Pandora on, heard Jeff Tweedy on an old Golden Smog song I recognized, and looked at the date: 1995.

Draft saved Draft deleted