1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Sports Illustrated find its people?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 6, 2006.

1. That story was ridiculous.

Anyway, I will re-read some Silver stuff now and see if my thoughts change.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Some will recall that Arash Markazi is a guy who, in the USC paper, ripped Simers for the way he did his job -- and I might be wrong about the second part, but I believe Simers fired back.

If you google Arash Markazi and Simers, you'll get a couple of hits, but the only way to read the column Arash wrote about Simers is the cached version.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Pop-culture references and analogies are the bane of modern sports journalism. SI should be SI and leave them to ESPN.

4. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

The problem is most readers have grown up on ESPN. My guess is among the average reader, Silver's references are well-received, as deplorable as they may be to us fine fourth estaters.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Like Hulk Hogan on Andre the Giant in Wrestlemania, Jones brought the smackdown upon SI. :D

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This is true. Fortunately, there aren't many writers at the magazine who fall prey to that temptation. (SI.com is a different story.) I'll still take the SI writers as a whole over the staff of any other sports publication out there.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, that's John Sterling.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Two days late on this one, but just had to chime in and add my agreement on the awesomeness [and truthfulness] of this post.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

After reading two of his columns and then his wikipedia entry, I would put a lot of money on the guess that this Marziki kid wrote his own wikipedia entry.

Draft saved Draft deleted