1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Sports Illustrated find its people?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 6, 2006.

1. (And no. I am not Michael Silver.)

2. JME

JME Member

;D

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Best method is to casually walk in front of the Time-Life building all day with a sweater tied around your neck. It worked for Reilly.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Either that, or graduate from Princeton. They have/had a ton of people from that school.

5. Not sure if Arash put that on there himself, but I've met him a bunch of times and keep in contact with him. He's a hell of a good guy.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

and she was considered gawd-awful by those there. her hiring contributed to the demise of the aura surrounding s.i. hires. :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

C'mon, nobody's nearly that bad.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I hereby nominate this for post of the month.

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

DD,

That Silver paragraph has to go down as one of the funniest things on this site. Many, many kudos.

And I don't even read Silver (or the magazine). SI is about as played out as 'let's hug it out, bitch.'

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

ps - That's funny that the guy put himself on wikipedia. I'd seen his name in passing while quickly looking through SI.com for Jenn Sterger's latest bit, but never clicked on one of his stories.

I still chuckle at 'hotshot' ...

11. Brilliant post, DD, even if I disagree with you. Why do one or two "forced" pop-cult references ruin his pieces for you? You make it sound like he's a Bill Simmons, dropping OC/rap/Real World/music lines all over the place. Silver gets in his couple and moves on.

Plus, if a detail is illuminating, it's illuminating regardless of whether or not it is preceded by a Gin and Juice lyric.

Finally: John Ed Bradley is fantastic...for sure.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's a lot more than one or two forced pop-cult references. The whole damn article is about Silver and how smart and cool and well-connected he is, and it's old.

Anyone who says his favorite story to write was the one that linked music and sports has a serious case of jocksniffitis.

Draft saved Draft deleted