1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you write a story about...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Oct 27, 2009.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

a girl kicker who has made only two extra points in seven games for her high school football team?
    The girl plays football story has been done to death. But I have to write a story about girl who is on her school's football team. The team is really bad, only scored three touchdowns in seven games and has been shut out five times.
    The girl has been in two plays all season. She doesn't do kickoffs and another kid on the team kicks field goals, although the team hasn't even tried one yet.
    How would you approach this story without making the team or the girl look too bad?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do you absolutely have to do the story?

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

You'll need to make this a people profile. Concentrate less (much less) on the football nuts and bolts and concentrate more on what makes the girl tick as a person and as an athlete. Perhaps she has a unique reason for playing football. Maybe dear old dad always wanted a boy. Who knows? Go where the feature takes you, rather than trying to fit the square peg in the round hole of a paint-by-numbers girl-football-player feetch.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This.

Find out how she feels being "one of the boys." Is there backlash in school? Does she get taunted by other girls? But yeah, find out what made her go out for it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You don't have to make a hero or a star out of her. Just tell the real story instead of positioning it. Find out why she keeps showing up everyday for such a crappy team and what she gets out of it. Talk to some of her teammates, too.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yikes.

I would just say that she kicked a PAT against so-and-so high on such-and-such date and another one against so-and-so high on such-and-such date. Just highlight the ones she kicked and not really get into why she's only kicked two in 7 games. I'm sure it's no secret that the team sucks and most people could probably figure out why she's only kicked two. You can give the impression that the team isn't visiting the end zone much without actually saying it. Sometimes less information is actually better.

Good luck. Sounds like a doozy.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Suggest she play quarterback in the lede?

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's almost a certainty that the coach will try to steer you away from this.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does the coach have kids? Would he let his daughter play football? Is this girl even a real part of the team, doing hitting drills and running sprints, or is she just off to the side every day at practice kicking PATs? If she's not a senior, does she want to come back next year?

EDIT: I don't know, smallpotatoes, if the writer has a good relationship with the coach, why not? If this is the only story written about the team all year, I could understand the coach being upset, but otherwise, he might be OK with it.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That would be a bit unfair to her. Many male kickers don't participate in hitting or conditioning drills.
    It would exaggerate her differences unjustly.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I've never seen a HS kicker that wasn't at the other end of the field with the other kicker, just pissing around and kicking every once in a while.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Ask Gary Barnett for a comment on her!

But yeah, just stick to the "why did you want to do this" aspect. And of course reaction from players, others.

Maybe talk to the parents about whether they were scared for her or supportive or whatever.

See if she wanted to play another position was but was steered toward kicker.
    Can always make it interesting, even if it's been done to death. Maybe it just hasn't been done to death at your paper or your area. Still a rarity in sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted