1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you talk/pray to God?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I usually find myself praying in a time of crisis.

I ask God for help the same way that I would talk to someone at a help desk although I don't think God is named Steve/Rupinder at a phone in Banaglore.

I also find myself thanking God for the good things in my life quite often, usually when I am walking the dog or feeling lucky/at peace.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, it's what I do, apparently.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey that reminds me - you never paid off on that bet we made.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I took the points.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No not that one - the one were you said I could never get you to exclaim "Oh God"

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh. I should have taken the under.

Sorry folks, carry on.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Mitch Albom reads his own columns.

As for me: I don't go for the sign of the cross or kneeling or putting my hands together or anything like that. I'm not going to judge those that do, of course, but I figure God is all-knowing and all-seeing -- ultimately, it doesn't matter what I'm doing or how I'm positioned. He knows where I am.

And I just let go. Talk to Him the way I would anyone else. I don't follow a regimented prayer or a series of prayers like the rosary (many people take great comfort from a specific prayer, but I prefer the more direct, improvisational route). I explain what I'm needing Him for (besides the obvious point of salvation) and to thank Him for what He's already done in my life. Unfortunately, I've let my praying go to pot in the last few months, so take my advice with whatever measure of salt you feel the need to.

Praying is way more about you than it is God. If you believe in an all-powerful entity, you're not going to be breaking news about your life via prayer. But it helps to get your own thoughts together in the process. It's not talking to yourself, but it has that bonus effect.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

:D

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

OK Ragu...that was good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In a mayday call.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WFFW.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I didn't go to mass last Sunday, but I seem to recall on late Saturday night saying, "Oh God! Oh my God! Oh Jesus Christ! Oh my GOD!" Does that count? :D

Seriously, though. I kind of suck at prayer...a byproduct of my Anglican/Catholic upbringing, where prayers are prepackaged, ready to be murmured without paying attention to the words. But I'm able to come up with some words of my own, now and then.

Draft saved Draft deleted