1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you talk/pray to God?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Not to sully the thread with my very lapsed Catholicism/agnosticism, but my very rare "praying" has basically become wishing/hoping, in case anyone's actually listening.

More often than not, my late grandfather's (who was probably as close to a humane "God" as any person can be) presence becomes whatever "God" I'm speaking to.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Never seen an "is is" from you.

Quite profound as I reflect on it.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I don't talk to any invisible beings. Unless they want to provide me proof of their existence, I have no time to waste with God, Allah, Buddha of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I knew it.

The Lord giveth, etc etc.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I think it was Chan Gailey who once summed up the way I changed my praying... someone asked him one time if he prayed for a win. He said he did, but in the event that wasn't in the cards, give him some lesson that would make him better for the experience of losing. I pray for needs but also understanding of things if it doesn't go my way. He's a better big-picture guy than I am.

When I pray every day for the people at my job, our precarious situations economically, I pray that in all of this we actually draw closer as a workplace, and more broadly, as a community and nation...not even stopping there, but that the world may see a better way.

And if that's a move for theocracy, so be it. We're a world so screwed up we need someone smarter than we to guide us, and the basic guidelines in the good book are pretty simple: do unto others... love your neighbor...the hard part I guess for some is loving God.

6. NoOneLikesUs

That's some frightening stuff right there.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There are no people, NONE, who love their god more than Mohammed Atta and his 18 henchmen did theirs.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In a sense you're right, but a lack of a belief in anything beyond can lead to equally frightening nihilism.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm a lapsed Catholic -- so lapsed, it appears, that it has not occurred to me to have a single "conversation" or prayer with God (or Whomever) for a long, long time....and that's even as some hairy stuff was going on.

10. NoOneLikesUs

In my own experience, it has been freeing not having to worry about what happens following death.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And that's what existentialism is: There is nothing beyond this, so be as square with yourself as possible and make the most of a world without hope. That's far different than: There's is nothing beyond this, so what I do, good or evil, doesn't matter.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know, I had all of my evil ways squarely rationalized away and you had to go and shake me up with that post.

Draft saved Draft deleted