1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you talk/pray to God?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I have chats in my head with him ... usually while I'm out walking the dog or hiking in the mountains.

I talk to my dad more than I talk to God, though.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What does he call you?

I pray in hebrew, some ancient verse that can be roughly translated into, 'I have no clue what you could have been thinking, but whatever, if you want to drive for a while I need a nap. Also, where did I leave my keys?'

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh DO shut up.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Very rarely, admittedly. May take another decade or two before I resume regular convo.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought you were just having an orgasm in yiddish.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I do the sign of the cross, then begin rambling in hopes of forgiveness, good fortune and the Pirates coming to terms with Rocco Baldelli.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He's just alright with me.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jesus does not really talk back. You'll know soon enough if your prayers are answered.

Sometimes for a complex question he will ask if you talked to God first and what was his opinion.

If I don't get the response I want, I try Allah but he has yet to take my calls. I might be facing the wrong way to reach him.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yes, please do.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Except for the part about the keys, that sounds about right.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I think it was Chan Gailey who once summed up the way I changed my praying... someone asked him one time if he prayed for a win. He said he did, but in the event that wasn't in the cards, give him some lesson that would make him better for the experience of losing. I pray for needs but also understanding of things if it doesn't go my way. He's a better big-picture guy than I am.

When I pray every day for the people at my job, our precarious situations economically, I pray that in all of this we actually draw closer as a workplace, and more broadly, as a community and nation...not even stopping there, but that the world may see a better way.

And if that's a move for theocracy, so be it. We're a world so screwed up we need someone smarter than we to guide us.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

See, this is what I don't get. I hope no one is offended by this, by why isn't God's word enough?

Like you use this father/son accounting practice, and the son does the tax returns...but everyone still wants to run it past the old man because he's the real expert. Jews understand this....we just refuse to see anyone but the old man.

No offense to anyone who prefers to use the son.

(Is this a bad sign that as I tried to post this, the site shut down for 10 minutes??)

Draft saved Draft deleted