1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you talk/pray to God?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Do you do it through a formal ceremony of prayer? With the Sign of the Cross, etc.? Or do you have a different way?

I rarely do the Sign of the Cross, I'm more in the Cool Hand Luke school of talking to God. I just blurt shit out to him whenever I feel like it.

Like last week. For an hour or two, it appeared I'd be stuck away from home for two days to get a part for my stricken car, then all of the sudden, the part was located.

In my head, I turned to God, had a wry smile and thought to myself, "You were fucking with me, weren't you? I didn't lose faith some solution would work itself out and it did." Then I kind of chuckled to myself and thanked him.

That's just one instance. I'll thank him, kind of give a wry nod to him when I think karma has set in one way or another (I'm Catholic, but I believe in karma), thank him for humbling me, that kind of shit.

In fact, when I'm in a church setting, it almost seems like I'm trying too hard when I do formal prayers, such as kneeling before mass for a pre-mass prayer, like I'm trying too hard to impress God or something. Considering I just talk to him in everyday life, I feel like he sees right through it. The ceremony for ceremony's sake.

The only instance I can think of where I do a formal type of prayer is right before a plane I'm on takes off, I say a prayer where I tell each of my individual family members that I love them.

I never lose faith God's there, I just don't see the need to go through the ceremonial hub-bub. I like to have a conversational type of relationship and I think God understands that.

How do you do it?

2. while on the toilet.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I just start talking. No sign of the cross or anything like that.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'm not very religious (let's see, the last time I was at a church, other than for my grandmother's funeral, was ... six years?), but I do the Sign of the Cross just before takeoff and landing every time I fly (which, these days, means I might be pretty religious).

And every so often I'll do the (sometimes silent in my head, sometimes out loud if no one's around) "random one-sided conversation with God" thing. But that's about it.

5. Even though I'm a lapsed Catholic, I still Cross myself.

6. You cross me all the damn time.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

[​IMG]

(Couldn't resist)

8. Deal with it.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Doc: Lapsed meaning you're not practicing?

10. Next time I'm on the toilet, I'm asking God to strike yo ass down.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

While in front of the toilet.

12. jps

jps Active Member

nice turn, mikey.

Draft saved Draft deleted