1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you stay organized at work?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have a full-time job, a side-business, traveling hubby, teenagers - including lots of extracurricular activities.

Yeah.

Even though I have a Blackberry, I still use my old Palm Desktop software because I have everything color-coded and can switch between seeing all events to just sorting, say the newspaper or church or 4-H. If I need to, I can print it out and I still carry the little Palm Z11 in my tote bag. (If I could ever transfer the Palm data to my Blackberry, I could probably make better use of the Blackberry, but so far, it isn't possible.)

At work, I have one of those desktop desk pads which has a calendar on it (you tear off each month once complete). On that, I write when stories are due (even though I have them on the Palm), work appointments, all that fun stuff.

I also am the queen of making to-do lists. If I didn't make lists, I'd been sunk. I also, because calls for story ideas have been coming fast and furious lately (and they're legit), I have started a notepad at work for just story ideas. I can bring that to our weekly staff meeting and do much better than "uh, uh, I know I have some story idea floating around out there."

Another thing is everything has a place and everything in its place. Yesterday, if you would have looked at my desk during work, you would have figured I was the messiest person around as I had council agenda papers EVERYWHERE, not to mention a couple criminal complaints in various stages of strewen-ness. But before I left for the day, EVERYTHING was picked up and put away (and a couple things stacked neatly in a paper tray for sorting on Monday since I wanted to get home.)

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My desk is organized chaos. If I can't find something right away, I know where it probably is, which drives everyone else nuts. But it's not their desk.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Same for me, except it's somewhat unorganized. I have a file cabinet with labeled folders, but I haven't used it in a while. I'm trying to get used to the calendar function on Outlook, haven't gotten into the habit yet. Important reminders or meetings I jot down on the white board next to my chair.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lists, lists, lists. Every day, a new list. Very few sticky notes. I hate those damn things.

Aside from that, just simple file folders for each project I'm on. It's weird. I deal with way more paperwork at my non-journo job, but my desk has never been cleaner. Maybe it's because I don't clog up space with bobbleheads, etc. like I used to.

5. highlander

highlander Member

Since I just started at my new job in July, things are a lot different. At the old place I had plenty of storage area. At the new place, I had to buy a small cabinet at Big Lots to store stuff. Each story I write, I cut out copy to a piece of paper and then put in the school's folder according to the sport. Just got reference material. I have probably 90 percent of the stories I wrote during the 15 years at my former employer.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Lead your people, manage your tasks.

I would be hooped without Outlook. Some specific things I do in it.

Block time to answer e-mails. If I answer as I get them I never get anything done. When people look to book time with me it shows that I am tied up when I am at my desk hammering thru things.

Prioritize each day. Blasting thru a bunch of little tasks may seem like you are getting a lot done but in my case it means the bigger stuff that may be more time consuming and have no end date gets pushed aside. I block time in my calendar to work on it and if something higher priority bumps it, I re-book it in my calendar.

I am not afraid to ask people to give me some time when they come to my desk. I have often said " hey give me 15 and then we can chat". I have found some of the serial interrupters don't interrupt as much.

Basically I am a slave to my Outlook. If I did not have it and my Blackberry I would curl in a ball and cry.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I work in retail. There will be no organization until inventory after the holidays.

Problem solved. :)

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I use the hell out of the Stickies post-it application on my desktop.

Four months ago I put down everything (planned) I had to do through the end of the year and I've followed, and adjusted, it ever since.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Reading this thread has reaffirmed my belief that I never want to be an editor/manager.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The days I do I see my desk, it's completely cluttered. I keep lots of lists - assignments to finish/work on, people to call, etc. ... and brace for the unexpected. Also keep assignments/appointments/interviews/travel written in a day planner and stored on the Blackberry.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't do anything using company e-mail because I can't trust it and it will cost me time at work. So I organize stuff in gmail instead.

12. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Google Calendar. It's awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted