1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you solve writer's block?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I just to tell third-graders in my daughter's class: Don't think, just write.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was an intern, an editor told me that if I ever had writer's block, just to write it like I worked at AP.

Obviously that wouldn't have worked for features, but it really prevented me from ever just staring at my computer screen when I was on deadline.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My strategy for pretty much any story is to think about what I would tell my best friend about the story. You need to adjust the person you're talking to based on your audience, but generally something jumps out. Getting good at that mindset will prevent you from burying that money quote or ignoring that random occurrence that maybe didn't have any direct impact on the game but was the most interesting thing that happened during it.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What if your best friend is a moron?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Or if you didn't have any.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So are your readers.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Writer's block? What's writer's block?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'll sit there and write through it. Then I read what I wrote, delete it all, curse at myself for being a hack, and repeat until I get out of the funk.
    It's even more fun when you're 20 minutes to deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted