1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you solve writer's block?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Topic title says it all.

Any and all writing types welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I read book reviews whenever I'm lacking the focus to write, often finding that reading about writing helps spark some inspiration.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I just remind myself what my first editor told me: there's no such thing. Then I get to writing.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Much like CD, I'll look over material written by people having previously inspired me. I don't have to search much since I've flagged certain pages and highlighted key thoughts. Lately, it has been work by Jacob Bronowski and James Deakin.

5. ConorRevell

ConorRevell New Member

There's no such thing. Start pounding away on the keyboard. You can always change it up if it doesn't make sense.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just keep writing.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Take a break. In many cases, the block comes from being tired.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Take a 10 minute walk. Talk to yourself about what you want the piece to say.

Come home. Turn off the Internet. Literally.

Stop beating your head against the wall on the section that's messing with you brain. Skip ahead. Write a sentence. Write another. Work until you have a paragraph. Then two.

Go back to the troubling section. Work to connect them. Now you have somewhere you're going.

Outlines help too. Even rough ones.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What if the block applies to outlines?

OK, just kidding. I find walking or driving (in silence) to be helpful. Some of my most productive "writing" sessions have come during long trips on empty highways.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"I don't understand how a writer could ever get writer's block, so-called. My problem is having too much ... and being unable to get it all down." — James Dickey

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dickey probably just drank away what other people consider writer's block.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Walk away. Take a shower, a walk, get laid. Don't come back to it until you know what you're going to do. When you're ready, you'll know. Worst thing you can do is sit there thinking, 'Fuck! Writer's block!' like you just discovered a cold sore.

Draft saved Draft deleted