1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Solve a Problem Like This, Maria?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 7, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Racist!

Not surprising, coming from a Southerner like yourself.

Ace likes this.
  2. So, this is a big deal? or not?
    I didn't think so.
    She was taking a supplement for a decade that was approved until it was banned at the start of this year and she got "caught" taking it. It was legal until it wasn't. ... I kind of buy her "I didn't look at the list" excuse. And honestly, the fact she tested for the stuff in January after it was brand new to the list didn't give me much pause.
    Then I read today Nike canceled her $70 million deal and Jennifer Capriati is whining about Sharapova.
    Am I missing something?

And, oh yeah, it's only tennis.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

However you feel about her taking a "supplement" for a decade. ... for me, the telling thing was her bullshit yesterday.

She got credit for holding a press conference and facing questions, as if that is the mark of her honesty. But what she had to say was absolute bullshit. She played it off like it was something a doctor prescribed for a medical problem -- not something she was taking as a performance enhancer.

A number of athletes have gotten flagged for using that drug since the Jan 1 ban went into effect. According to the Latvian company that manufactures it (it is not FDA approved, so isn't prescribed in the U.S), the normal course of treatment is 4 to 6 weeks. It is indicated for heart failure or unwanted heart overload. If she was on it for 10 years continually, she wasn't healthy enough to have been playing tennis for the past 10 years.

If she was really honest, she would admit that she was talking it because it aids oxygen uptake and endurance -- the reason they banned it. I don't expect to her to do that, because she is wrangling over how long her suspension is going to be, and it will be shorter if they determine it was an "honest" mistake. But then, let's admit that the line of bullshit she laid out there yesterday was bullshit.

sgreenwell and YankeeFan like this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Absolute, total. comprehensive Russian horseshit is what she was peddling. It's not a supplement. It's a drug. And it's not a drug for athletes, since very few, if any, have heart failure. Well, maybe fat relief pitchers and pro bowlers.

5. But it was legal for the 10 years she was taking it, prior to Jan. 1, 2016?

"A number of athletes have gotten flagged for using that drug since the Jan 1 ban went into effect."

She's the only one under scrutiny?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How long does it live in the system? She could have taken it while it was still legal and tested positive when it wasn't. So that would be a lot of gray area.

Her explanation is bullshit, of course, but that doesn't matter if it was allowed until Dec. 31, 2015.

7. The Big Ragu

And banned after Jan. 1, 2016. So she got nabbed using something that is banned by her sport. I guess she can now serve her suspension, lose all the endorsements she has been losing, etc.

My point didn't have anything to do with any of that. I was saying that the crap she said during the press conference was pure bullshit.

The "doctor gave it to me for a medical condition" thing was nonsense. And it bugged me, because she bullshitted under the guise of facing the music. If she was actually being truthful, she would have said something akin to "I have used it for years, because it gives athletes like me a real edge when it comes to endurance. I screwed up when they added it to the banned list this year, and I didn't stop taking it."

Instead, she went with a bullshit half truth (at best). Again, I get it. She wants to keep the suspension to a minimum so she has to be careful about what she admits to. But from a PR standpoint, then, don't come out and do a self-serving press conference in which you outright lie to the public (to try to make yourself more sympathetic) about why you were taking it and for what reason.

Riptide, sgreenwell and YankeeFan like this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I feel kind of sorry for her because the supplement she was taking apparently ages you.

She looks 48.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Can whatever ban she gets include a provision that she can't return to the game unless she drops the on-court moaning routine? As for Serena, has Sharapova ever threatened to shove a ball down a linesman's throat? Or done a crip walk? Or dominated a sport whose fans are about 99 percent white? No, Maria has done none of those things.

11. The Big Ragu

She certainly has been a dominant player. She has an amazing career won-loss record and dozens of career titles, including singles titles in each of the grand slams. She may not be Serena dominant, but if that is the line for dominance, there have been less than a handful of dominant women players in history.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

OK, that's fair, she has dominated just about everyone else -- except Serena. She's got an element of the great white hope, which has definitely contributed to her popularity and marketability.

Draft saved Draft deleted