1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you road trip?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 3, 2007.

?

When you travel by air, how do you fly?

1. Coach

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Business/first

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. What ever the points allow

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Corporate/company jet

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Private plane

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just kind of curious. I know of a place that sends a corporate jet for the staff.
    Saves money since they don't have overnight stays and little to no overtime.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I want to work at a place that doesn't make me fly coach ...

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

What's this "travel by air"?

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, there really should be a choice in that poll for "Shaggin' Wagon."

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You cannot go by private plane and save money. It may be money the company doesn't have to dig into its pockets for and give to an airline, but those costs have to be accounted for somewhere and there's no way it's cheaper than going commercial.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think he's saying, theoretically, you save money on hotel costs and overtime (although who gets overtime?).

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only time i ever flew 1st on a work road trip was when I had a bar buddy as a supervisor at NWA... the other writer was not happy about sitting coach

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"I was somewhere near Barstow near the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

That's the only way to roadie.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I upgraded to first ONCE for $35 when I was going to have to fly in the same day and left early in the morning and needed some sleep. Company OKed it.

Other than that? Our travel people are great at booking me middle seats.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

1st class maybe 30 percent of the time, thanks to upgrades. it's really almost impossible to work in coach, although if ya gotta do it, it can be done. these days you don't really get much extra up front -- other than extra room. when i started out, if you were in 1st class you got a shaving kit or slippers ... some nice amenities. those days are long gone

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I call b.s. too on this actually saving money. Also doesn't sound like mainstream media, either. Or even practical for media- if you're taking the corporate jet to a sporting event and you've got no hotel, then the event gets postponed a day for rain, now what do you do?

Anyhoo, I'm an exit-row guy. Also a fan of www.seatguru.com to see where the good spots are on different planes. At the least, it makes you feel more in control.

12. Isn't it the Athens paper that travels by private jet to games?

Draft saved Draft deleted