1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Respond

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jun 29, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

LOL.

Well, I'm just all messed up. And to think that I've been telling everyone that Wilt "The Stilt" Disney was a dreamer.

2. KP

KP Active Member

The paper didn't blow Jimmy's chance to get a D1 scholly?

Sounds like SE went a little overboard though, if Junior goes for 40 and 20, we kind of need to talk to him.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Right. When you choose certain professions, you pay a price. When you go into journalism, having your kids in the paper is one of them. The kids survived very nicely.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

See, I think that's wrong. The ultimate would be for the SE's kids to be treated JUST THE SAME as anyone else -- not any more coverage, but not any less, either. Just what's appropriate. If Jimmy Sportsed Jr. scores 26 points and he's the story of the game, I can't justify not keying on him because he's the SE's kid.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nothing good can come with talking to a reporter, shot. ;)

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

You can't punish kids for being the children of news people. You just remove the parents from those stories and stress to the reporters covering them that they shouldn't give any special attention to the athletes.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Happened to be covering the banquet where my son was named top lineman in the province. I was very proud, but it was very awkward interviewing your own son. Couldn't penalize him for being a good player just because he was my son. Ran the story, without a byline, and his award was buried among a bunch of them, with a token couple of quotes.
    Again, you can't punish the kid because of who he is, nor can you make a bigger deal than he deserves. Treat him as you would any other athlete.

Draft saved Draft deleted