1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you respond to readers who think you hate their team?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Whatwhat, Mar 24, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have too! That's where my beer is.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

One of my favorite complaint calls touched on this. It was about wire coverage about a pro team in our region, and a rational caller asked why we only put big headlines on that team's losses or bad news for that team and it's always on the cover, and whenever they win or have something good happen, it's small headlines and inside the section or just a brief.

I went back through the sections I kept on my desk and pointed out they were on the cover with big headlines for wins on these dates, had front-page feel-good features on these dates, they had losses on the inside of the section on these dates, etc.

The guy's reaction was, "Well, I'm not talking about those stories!" I could barely keep from laughing into the phone as I thanked him for calling.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Another take with the same logic is when the officials cost a team the game. My response is how many games did the refs help your team win?

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I've had that conversation one too many times for my taste. And then they'll call back the next year. And the next year. And the next year after that.

5. Maybe this is why... http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20070829/bad-memories-easier-to-remember

6. I always remark, "You know, it's funny that I've never heard fans of the winning team complain about officiating."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I remember leaving a soccer game years ago when a fan suggested I do a story about how Podunk never gets a break because all the referees are from Springfield or Shelbyville. He was so sincere about it, I didn't have the heart to tell him just how full of shit he was.

Draft saved Draft deleted