1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you respond to readers who think you hate their team?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Whatwhat, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to like to say that to parents and fans when I was covering high school sports.

"Aren't you happy we won?"

"Nope, actually I don't care who wins, as long as I get the score right. And besides, your team advancing in the playoffs means more work for me."

Faces drop.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If someone has a legitimate, rational complaint or question, they deserve a response.

When it's as stupid as "you hate our team," I don't have time for it.

4. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

Why? Because they're fans. They are wired differently than any objective and/or rational person is.

I just about never responded to anonymous reader comments at the end of my columns. I just didn't want to get involved in online pissing contests and my time was too valuable.

I did, however, respond to every single email and snail mail I received during my 11 years as a columnist. I figured that if somebody took the time to write and included their names, it was the least I could do.

Many readers who ripped me a new one in their original emails immediately decided I was "a great guy" after I calmly responded to their emails and gave my reasons for writing what I had.

As for being a "hater" of a certain team, I constantly got accused of hating the Cubs and loving the White Sox or loving the Cubs and hating the White Sox. Except by the people from southern Illinois, who were convinced I loved the Cubs and hated the Cardinals. (Unless it was the other way around.) Every once in awhile -- maybe once per baseball season -- I would compile these in a letters column to demonstrate how ridiculous it all was. And within that column, I would try to educate readers, explaining that I, like most journalists don't root for teams I cover. By my fifth or sixth year in the job, I had many readers who would defend me to other readers, saying things like, "As Mike has explained many times, the only teams he roots for are the ones his kids play on, so give it a rest." That always was very satisfying.

Some readers appreciated my explanations, some didn't believe me. Many simply didn't get it. But I always felt pretty good about trying.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, this is where I am. Anonymous comments on columns? No time for them. You take the time to email me, even when you tell me I'm just a woman and what do I know about the history of my sport and I should go back to the kitchen (yes, those still happen), I will respond.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Instead of responding to those e-mails, you should be cooking dinner, woman.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah...I needs me a sammich!

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I want breakfast for dinner. And I want my bacon chewy.

9. imjustagirl

DEAD.TO.ME.

Bacon = always burnt to a crisp. Like shatters when you bite into it.

And spike, how many sandwiches do you cook? Grilled cheese and paninis?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm about as flexible as your bacon on this matter.

11. imjustagirl

We shall never dine on swine together.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The word panini sounds so dirty...but they are oh so good.

Back on track though...

Draft saved Draft deleted