1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you respond to readers who think you hate their team?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Whatwhat, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

Being somebody that likes to watch and read up on Carolina basketball, I enjoyed two columns written about Carolina after its win against Ohio yesterday. The first, a piece by Gregg Doyel:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/18004196/topseeded-north-carolina-takes-care-of-ohio-in-unimpressive-fashion

UNC fans on a well-frequented message board get on him for it, saying he's an NC State fan, calling the article lazy, etc.

Same thing with this article by Pat Forde

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=pf-forde_midwest_region_unc_barely_wins_032312

Pat Forde, according to many Carolina fans, is writing this negative piece because he's CLEARLY a Mizzou fan. Where was his post bashing the Tigers or Norfolk State, two teams that Carolina advanced further than?, they say.

Conversely, there's a piece by Adam Lucas of Tarheelblue.com, WHO WORKS FOR CAROLINA

http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032412aaa.html

The reaction: Finally, a fresh, positive article about a team that was resilient and found victory.

Why can't fans read an article that is perhaps speaking negatively of their team and see it through an objective lens, instead of, "OMG, they hate me?"

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: How do you respond to readers that think you hate their team?

Readers who.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Carolina its

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

advanced further than

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"Mister, after you hang up complaining that we favor Team A over Team B, a guy is going to call who insists we favor Team B over Team A. Can I get your number and have him call you, so I can please get back to work?"

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy wins, both for more corrections and for having the stomach to read the post. I stopped at the thread title.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Don't you know that you are ruining his chance at a job with Huntsville?

Word.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. And to think our city editor laughed at me when I said I wouldn't wear a shirt that was the same colors of the school I was covering that night ...

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

I don't respond to readers who think that...it's a no-win argument.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I used to tell people I hated all the teams. Oddly enough, some were satisfied with this answer.

11. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Just tell them, "I do."

12. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted