1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you report on what you haven't seen? (Post-Gazette gets sued)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by McNuggetsMan, Aug 19, 2009.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Post-Gazette gets sued by a drug company today. It's a pretty boilerplate civil suit story and ends with a comment from the EIC/Publisher:

In response to the announcement, Post-Gazette Publisher and Editor-In-Chief John Robinson Block said, "We have not seen the complaint, so we cannot comment on it. But the Post-Gazette stands fully behind its reporting and its news-gathering and will defend the suit vigorously."

I know the whole "we can't respond because we haven't seen the suit" response is pretty standard, but it strikes me here that the EIC looks really, really stupid with this comment. If you haven't seen the suit, how is your news organization reporting on it?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09231/991875-100.stm

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

From the thread title I thought it was a question we are asking ourselves around here because management want us to cover stuff that we don't actually go to because they'd have to pay us.

3. This could get intersting.
    I think Mylan is looking for a leak.
    Last year the P-G broke the story on W.Va Gov. Joe Manchin's daughter, a Mylan exec., that launched the WVU degree scandal.

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

If you are still reviewing the suit and aren't ready to respond yet, just say that.

The whole "we haven't seen it" line is what I think makes him sound stupid -- especially since it is pretty clear that your reporters have a copy of the suit in the building since they are reporting on it. So you have seen or or you could at least see it if you applied even a basic level of effort.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

A scandal so weighty that she was promoted recently to president !

6. She came out of things looking waaaaay better than WVU. That's for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted