1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you reconnect when you move to a new town?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kritter47, Jan 28, 2007.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

And don't worry about the sportswriter hours. Even if it's one day a week, they'll take you. Most organizations are always looking for volunteers, so they'll put you to work whenever possible. Habitat for Humanity is a great organization to meet people since there are so many people involved in building a house. That's just one of the top of my head. Good luck.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Lots of opportunities to connect with people and you have the chance to present yourself as you choose, since few people will have any preconcieved notions about you.

Volunteerism is good stuff. Any of the major health charities (Heart Association, Red Cross, Lung Association)are looking for help, from stuffing envelopes to sitting on boards. Alternatively, you could check out the animal shelter or the local hospital, big brothers/sisters or Boys and Girls Club. Each will give you alternatives and certainly won't hurt your community visibility and credibility.

This is also a time in your life to try new things with little downside risk if it doesn't go well. Want to dance? paint? learn photography? A city of 100K will have enough options to keep you entertained.

Good luck

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

If there is a literacy council in your area, as a writer, they'd love to have you sit on the board or tutor kids and adults who can't read and/or write.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No outing. Maybe she doesn't want people to know she lives in East Lansing... :D

5. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

East Lansing would have hockey. :p

I'll look into volunteer things around here as well. I think I assume there's less activities because I'm so used to being in and around cities where those are much better advertised. This town also has a lot of retirees and young families. There's a D-II college but it's the dinkiest little college in the history of colleges.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. This is just a completely new thing for me - one at which I'm awkward even in the ideal situations. I really appreciate all the help.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Kritter, I'm in some of the same boat that you're in -- and, believe it or not, I'm not the most social person around. (Sxy, IJAG and Sam Mills will disagree based on being driven crazy on 12-hour car rides, but it's for real.) Being in a smaller town with few non-alcohol related hangouts (and few cool alcohol related hangouts) makes social opportunities limited.

One thing I am looking into is volunteering at the local hospital. They always have a need for people, probably especially during the day when most non-retirees are working.

Otherwise, just PM me during the day and I'll annoy the crap out of you to pass the time away.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Kritter, look up your local chapter of the American Cancer Society. The annual Relay For Life fund-raiser is coming up. Ours is in April. That'll be a good chance to meet some folks, have some fun and raise some money for a good cause.

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Kritter, I second the Relay for Life suggestion. I've lived in some fairly small towns and there always seemed to be one. Are there any minor league sports in town like hockey and baseball? The town I went to college in had baseball and hockey.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

now it sounds like you're just making excuses. you play hockey. ok, the town doesn't have hockey. maybe they have roller hockey or even just street hockey which probably wouldn't be anything organized? or some kind of inline skating club (or group or just an area where people do it). if not, figure out what you like about hockey and then pick a sport that has some similarities -- soccer? lacrosse? -- and learn how to play it by joining a team.

10. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Yeah, I realize it sounds like that. The base issue is I'm not very good at meeting new people, so once I get pushed out of what I know, I get overwhelmed and withdraw to be a crazy cat woman without the cats. That's why I came here - to get suggestions so I can get ideas.

The local roller hockey group doesn't let girls play, but I'm looking into getting rollerblades so I can at least go out there and talk with them.

Relay for Life is a good suggestion. I did that I'm college, but hadn't thought it would be out here. I'll go check. Any Smartwriter - there's minor league baseball and indoor football. There used to be minor league hockey but they've been gone for a couple years.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That, and roller hockey and hockey are not the same thing.

Leo's point notwithstanding, they just aren't the same game.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

For the Cancer Society -- go to www.cancer.org to find the local chapter. Or check with your paper's health reporter, they may have the local contact.

As for something else, does your community have a Young Professionals organization? That might be an outlet to consider -- many of those groups cater to newcomers.

Draft saved Draft deleted