1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you quit a job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 31, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Wow to a lot of this.
    I've left three jobs voluntarily -- and one involuntarily -- and not once was my editor a dick to me in any of the four cases. Had a good working relationship with all of them, and I hung out with a couple of them.
    Maybe I've worked for better bosses than most folks. Sometimes you just have to move, and no one I've worked for has begrudged me that.
    Joe

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've been relatively surprised at how decent people have been at my last two stops given why I've left both - neither for professional reasons. The first one, where I had been over three years, could not have been nicer. Some people that I occasionally had words with on newsside were cool. One even baked a cake - I worked with her husband on the sports desk, but still a really nice gesture - for my last day ... and then apologized for her self-perceived lack of patience (by her standards ... she was Job-like). The SE has called me a couple of times since I left and we can now discuss things that we couldn't before, even though we both knew the score.

The last one was a surprise because I was going to be there for a while ... again, I didn't leave because of career reasons. They understood why I had to go, but understandably it wasn't the same since I was there only a few months.

OK, time to stop rambling. Point is, at the first place in this post, the regional editor made it clear to call him if I needed to go back. That was priceless to me. And it reinforced to never burn bridges, no matter how badly things have gone at any time during one's tenure.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hand my notice(s) to the publisher, managing editor and my sports editor at the time, and I work my last two weeks with the same intensity I did during my tenure. I figure, as long as I'm on their payroll, there's no reason my ethic should change one bit.

But I definitely have found I was in much better spirits for the final 14 days.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Take it from someone who has burned his share of bridges that it is the dumbest thing you can do. Even if everyone there is an asshat.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't worry about their reactions; you can't control those. You only can control your own.

And they don't need to know specifics about you selling your house, etc. For all they know, you could be renting it out to someone. It's not your obligation to give them the full background. Don't feel as if you have to do it.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. And you'll be gone in two weeks anyway. So it'll only be awkward for a short time.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

KJIM - stop worrying about it man. it's never a good time to leave a newsroom. fuck 'em and move on with your life.

8. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Ha! It took over 20 people quitting in under 24 months for the top brass to get the message and demote our ex-ME.

Of the four people who quit for better papers (it's not like people were getting better under his leadership), all he did once they gave notice was get defensive and run them down to the rest of the staff.

"I don't see how the hell she got a job there. She wasn't worth a shit and I can't remember why I hired her."

Real class act.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, you sound like you work at my last stop.

10. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I take pride that I outlasted that son of a bitch.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

stop talking about me like that. ;)

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

1. Hack into the PA system and set it up to play Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job And Shove It" at 10:30 a.m. the following Monday.

2. Nail the publisher's nubile 19-year-old daughter on his desk during your final night shift.

Draft saved Draft deleted