1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you quit a job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Boys.....I'm done here.

"Wait......you're required to give two weeks."

Nope. I'm done. Kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss her ass. Kiss my ass again as I walk out that door. Later.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that would work, too.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

so nice to read that this was the first response to the thread.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I rubbed my sweaty junk all over the publisher's window before leaving the business.

Oh wait...that's what I swore I'd do if I won the lottery. Never mind.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The journalism industry -- much like the Army -- is a pretty small community, especially since people move around quite often. Thus, everyone knows everyone. You'll run into people who 1.) know you from working with you, 2.) know someone you work with, or 3.) know your boss. And bosses talk.

"Hey, Jim, didn't Freddy Fuckface work for you at the Podunk Press?"

"Yeah. He sure did. That fucker left us high and dry. Faxed his resume in at lunch. Fucking coward. Why? You gonna hire him?"

"Well, I was."

6. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

I gave my two weeks notice to my managing editor this week. Just told him over the phone Monday morning.

He knew I had interviewed at a bigger paper, so it wasn't much of a surprise. He was fine about it and congratulated me. Just wanted to make sure I would be there to do a good job over the next two weeks, which, of course, I will.

My sports editor, on the other hand, has been a dick about it. All he cares about is this means more work for him until the new person comes in and gets caught up to speed. He hasn't said a word of congratulations (not that I need it), and actually today we didn't say one word to each other in the office. This is gonna be a great next week and a half.

Also, I would've liked to have told the other reporters and people on our office I was leaving, but SE went ahead and told everyone before I had a chance to. Nice.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wrote something that was edited, but the fact I tried to write what I wrote got me the ax. But I was ready to be finished there, I guess.

8. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Nice. I hope you're being serious. What did you write?

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Such a great clip. What is it that he throws at dude? It looks like a muffin.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Give two weeks notice and be professional on your way out the door. It's that simple.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Last time I quit, my boss stopped talking to me. Still, not good to be a dick on the way out. What happens if you don't like your new stop and think it might be best to retreat to your old place?

Draft saved Draft deleted