1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you quit a job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you forgot the blue font.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is how you quit a job.

Go to your to boss early in the day. Tell him or her that you have accepted another offer and that you are giving two weeks notice.

Unless you're really good buddies, don't go into a lot of rigamorole about why you are leaving or details about the new job. Try to keep it short and sweet and polite.

If you are asked to talk to higher ups who may try to cajole you to stay, do it politely. Thank them for the opportunity, tell them you've made your mind up. Keep the details to a minimum.

Who knows, they may throw something your way that convinces you to stay. Probably not, though.

Then clean the crap off your desk and do a good but distracted job the next two weeks.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

You don't owe them any more. Giving 2 weeks is just a courtesy, to keep you from burning bridges with anyone else in the organization.

Say you work for the Podunk Press, where Frank Jones is city editor and No. 3 guy in the newsroom. You quit without giving notice 'cause you hate working at the Press and they don't deserve any better.

Ten years later, you apply for a job at your dream paper, where good old Frank Jones is now managing editor. Think he'll approve your hire? Not a chance.

In my mind, that's the *only* reason to give 2 weeks notice.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that, and it's the total non-dick thing to do.

5. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

I think the most important thing is to leave with the respect of your soon-to-be former employee and to make sure youd don't burn bridges. You never know down the road who you might need as a reference or even for a job down the road.

I recently switched jobs and when I left my old shop the bosses told me they understood why I was leaving and let me know I would always have a good reference from them if they needed it. I gave them a full three weeks notice and worked hard until my final day.

I don't see anything good that can come from one of these drive-by "this place sucks and you are a jerk so I am quitting" resignations, because even the so-called satisfaction you think you might get from it will be short lived and most likely you'll feel like shit after you do it.

6. Am I a sucker that I feel obliged to get a month notice, even though it will make my crunched for time?

I'm pretty high up in my rather small company, and I worry that I'm really going to let down people who I care for tremendously. That being said, I've got to look out for my own interests as well.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In my experience, the higher up you are the less they'd miss you. Most places would be hard-pressed to cover for a good administrative assistant and could sail without the top dog.

If you have a new job lined up and it doesn't start for a month or more, you could give them a month's notice, but some places would tell you to leave after two weeks.

Better to give folks a quiet heads up (if you are so inclined) and an official two weeks.

8. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Not at all. Most of us are in professional situations, we're not quitting from Blockbuster. I think two weeks in the bare minimum amount of notice I'd provide. As has been said, take the high road and don't burn any bridges. It's just not worth it. That said, if you can have an exit interview with someone other than your boss you might be able to improve the conditions down the line. The first complaint might not change the situation, but if it becomes a repeated message, the company might take some action. It's taken about four of five of these type exit interviews at my current job, but I think management is starting to see the light.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Read your employee handbook first to see how you can stick the Man.

Then wait till after your anniversary date so you get all your accrued vacation time.

10. boots

boots New Member

I know one guy who faxed in his resignation at lunch time.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, you are a sucker if you give a month.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

If you give a month, you screw your future employer. Not a good way to start that relationship.

Draft saved Draft deleted