1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you quit a job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Half Baked. quality movie, although enjoyed moreso when under the influence (or so i have heard).

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Bob Saget is amazing in that movie in his cameo.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

love that cameo.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

In case no one has seen it, here is the cameo. It is NSFW.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was more impressed by David from the Real World's appearance. :D

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Attention Yankees! Your accomplishments mean nothing!
    This is George Costanza! I fear no reprisal!

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

Always quit classy -- you never know what bridge you may be accidentally burning. You should give them two weeks.

Speaking as someone who's done the hiring and firing, I don't think it matters what time of day you give notice. Anytime someone left my company, I asked for a brief note in writing that names his/her last day of work, so I can put it in their personnel file and start the ball rolling with HR. It's your option as to what you want to tell your boss -- "personal reasons, moving out of the area" is always fine. Saying you're leaving the business is perfectly fine. I also always asked the employee if he/she would like to tell staff or if I should. If I was the one breaking the news, I would do it by mass e-mail. If the employee preferred to do it, then I would agree to hold off on the "official" group e-mail for a couple of days (I thought it was important to send one out each time to avoid the appearance of favoritism, etc).

Good luck!

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

One question: I was always taught that I owed my employer two weeks notice.

However, how many people get that much noticed when they get laid off or fired?

Makes me really question whether I "owe" anybody anything but the work I am supposed to do on my shift.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The two weeks notice is a basic professional courtesy.
    The turd in your bottom desk drawer is going that extra mile.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"Say, 'I break with thee, I break with thee,' and throw dog poop on their shoes."

It worked for the Festrunk Brothers, and they're two... WILD and CRAZY GUYS!

Tip: If your boss is a woman, though, don't ask to see her "big American breasts." Even if you want to see them.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

give two weeks and be honest. the minimum you owe any person you work for/with is honesty.

other than that, you owe them nothing.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Why two weeks? As was mentioned, if you get fired, anywhere, anytime, for anything, they give you 10 minutes notice and a box (if you're lucky) -- just enough time to clean out your desk.

Why do I owe them any more?

Draft saved Draft deleted