1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you not realize you're going 109 mph?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 30, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And all this time I thought 15-25 mph limits in school zones and 20-30 mph limits on twisting mountain roads were to keep people safe.

The other day I was on one of those mountain roads: The Dragon with its 318 curves in 11 miles. Speed limit varied from 20 to 30, which is what I was going. Too slow, however, for the car behind me, which kept honking and finally decided to pass . . . over a double yellow line.

Wonder which SportsJournalists.com member it was. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When the handful of times I've topped 90, there wasn't another car in sight.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

totes magotes

An awkward way to say "totally" when trying to act cool.
    Coined in the 2009 film "I Love You, Man."

Guy #1: Hey, we watching the game at my place tonight?
    Guy #2: Yeah. Totally. Totes magotes, man.
    Guy #1: ... Never mind.

4. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Did that as a navigator in a '62 Corvette during a road rally a few years ago.

Beautiful road, but super heavily policed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Looks like fun:

http://bit.ly/15s7IUU

Fast and furious:
    http://bit.ly/Zlzema

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

My dad told me when he was in his 20s in the '60s, he was driving his Cadillac to work on the freeway, looked down and noticed he was doing 105. He said he never would have known otherwise since the ride was so smooth.
    I once had an '85 Impala. I believe the speedometer stopped at 90. I had it pegged while following a friend of mine one day and he later said we hit 114. Luckily none of my experiences with cars and animals happened on that drive.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps my greatest automotive speeding feat was getting a 1975 VW Microbus up to 70 mph.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Not the newer ones, especially with the V-6.

[link]http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-ex-l-v-6-coupe-automatic-test-review[/link]

The newest V-6 Accord has 278 horsepower, goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, does a 14.1 sec. quarter mile and has a top speed of 125 (governor limited, unfortunately).

Fastest I ever went in a car would have to be my Firebird Formula. Went 170 mph in the Monitor/Merrimac Tunnel in Virginia at 3 in the morning with not a car on the road. Hit my mark in the bottom of the ship channel and by the time I got out to the exit, I was doing a nice, legal 55 mph. The sound of my Boorlas reverberated on the walls of the tunnel. Awesome.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was doing 130 in a 560 SEL back in 1991 on the road between Reno and Vegas. I was driving a car for the guy who owned McKee Oil. He was a member of the country club I worked for. I just wanted to see what the car could do. It never came close to 3,000 RPMs and it felt like I was doing 55 after a couple of minutes. Mind you, I did not see a car for 30 minutes at a time, either way, during this drive.

Members would fly us around the country so we could drive their cars from summer homes to winter homes and back. I guess they liked seeing a familiar face. Got to fly in a Learjet doing this, twice.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I picked up an Infiti FX 45 in Florida and drove it back to Western Canada. I was routinely well above 100 MPH in it just to keep from getting bored, mainly in Montana.

The car handled like I was doing 55, just awesome.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Did 168 in an Aston-Martin Vantage S a couple of years ago. Pegged a Ducati 900SS Paso past 120 many times. The current Honda ST1100 has done the ton many times. My goal is the double ton in a car.

12. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

You guys are all lucky no kid has jumped out into the middle of the road while you guys are joyfully nearing 200 mph. I wonder if you would laugh about that, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted