1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you not realize you're going 109 mph?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 30, 2013.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This is true, and a lot of fun.

Driving 70 sucks.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Learning to drive in the early-mid 1970s, on craggy pothole-pocked roadways in rusty rattly rustbucket cars dating from the 1960s, plus the 55 mph speed limit then in effect, 70 mph felt absolutely supersonic.

When they did boost the speed limits back up in the 1970s and 80s, the roads were still crater fields compared to today, and car quality didn't take a big jump until about 1990.

Then it became possible to drive 80+ mph without feeling like you were going to fly into a ditch at any given second.

3. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

I live in a sparsely populated state with few hills and modest traffic. I don't go much over 75, and I stick to the right lane. I do not understand why motherfuckers have to tailgate when the left is wide open. Fucking people.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True story: Steve Wozniak once got a ticket for going 104 in a Prius.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When my wife and I were just dating, we took a long road trip to Colorado for a friend's wedding. In the middle of the night in Kansas, I woke up and she had my 6-cylinder Jeep Cherokee at 110 without realizing it. The reason I woke up? Thousands of prairie dogs were crossing the highway at that moment. We killed hundreds.

In my 20s, I hit 115 in a Dodge Viper I was delivering to another dealership for my father. It was smoother and quieter than going 35 in my Jeep Wrangler.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I put a new engine in my car, but forgot to take the old one out. Now my car goes 500 miles per hour.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Modern cars are so quiet that you don't get the aural indicator you're flying that fast, especially the wind noise. Had a 95 Firebird Formula and you could tell how fast you were going by the noise of that roaring 350-ci V-8 and the air flying past the A-pillars. My Sonata, on the other hand, is silent at any speed.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I drove a Maserati convertible a couple weeks ago and had it at 95 without realizing it. That was an amazing machine.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As someone who has driven many times through the salt flats going to California, I know it can be pretty easy to just look down and realize you're going close to, or over 100 mph.

That stretch from LA to Vegas is another area where it's really easy to approach 100 mph without doing it intentionally... I have a cousin who has never been in trouble in his life who got pulled over and arrested on the spot for going 120 mph from Vegas to LA. It became the family joke because it's the only time this guy has ever been in trouble and was completely out of character for him.

Speeding is speeding... If you get caught, you pay the fine, but I don't see any reason for punishment beyond that, unless it's multiple offenses going way over the limit... If you're drunk, or doing anything reckless, that's a different story.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What are you? Some kind of anarchist?

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Going 120 mph (!) puts everybody's life at risk. It should come with an automatic lifetime license removal.

I drive a Honda Accord, a car known for its speed, mind you. Even so, I can't remotely fathom driving it 100 mph, yet alone 120.

12. Hit a 100 a few times in Arizona back in early 20s. Now, I hate going 80 on the Interstate when the speed limit is 75.

Draft saved Draft deleted