1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you not realize you're going 109 mph?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 30, 2013.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

These newer cars do handle a lot better than ones from 20 years ago. I have an '04 Monte Carlo that can smoothly hit 80-85 and feel like 60. That said, going 109 is a whole different ballgame.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Top of a hill on an Interstate in Montana. Nobody around. Temptation to floor it was too great.

Also easy to hit those speeds between Barstow and Kingman on I-40.

And Justin Bieber weeps [/crossthread].

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

25 inches would be a serious butt-hurt.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Why not just set it at the speed limit?

5. joe

joe Active Member

120 in my '98 Cobra at night on one of the straight, flat blacktops in rural Illinois outside Champaign. With the top down.

120 in my '98 6-cylinder Mustang going west down Mineola hill on I-70 in Missouri.

120 makes 70 feel like you're going backward.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fuck you and your selfishness.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ditto, but on another interstate in another state. Late at night, not a soul around, couldn't have hit anything if I tried. Just chilling, listening to music, looked down and I was going 105. Sort of eased off the accelerator.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Because then you have to fight off all the other traffic.
    On the interstate, at least, it's less stressful to go with the flow.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The type of car you are driving --- and what you are used to driving if the car in question isn't your primary one --- makes a HUGE difference in the feel. I realize they all have (or should have) speedometers, but if you are cruising and not watching the speedometer, it is very possible for 105 to feel like 75, especially with little or no traffic to judge by.

10. joe

joe Active Member

You're welcome.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've been driving about 39 years. I think I have a lifetime total of about five points on my driving record.

And yeah, I drive 85 on the freeway just like everybody else. But not 109.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I pushed the limits of my car, an 06 Chevy Cobalt, one night driving home from work on a back road with no other cars around. Hit 103 before letting up.

Draft saved Draft deleted