1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you not realize you're going 109 mph?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 30, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/05/29/2657707/kentucky-lawmaker-says-she-wont.html

Kentucky lawmaker pulled over on I-75 near Lexington for going 109 mph in a 70 zone. Told an editor from the Herald Leader she wasn't going that fast and she was going to contest it. A day later, she changes her tune.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know the terrain there. I can tell you I was once driving from Phoenix to Los Angeles on Interstate 10 approaching Indio, glanced down at the speedometer and I was doing 105. Had absolutely no idea. I wasn't exactly blowing past traffic, either.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

John Bonham and Keith Moon both similarly (and posthumously) can make me unconsciously drive about 90 mph.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've blended with traffic in an unfamiliar rental and found that I was going 85 or so.
    I have some vague recollection of unwinding a car to 90 when I was a kid and that was enough.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

She started paraphrasing Sammy Hagar to the judge singing "I can't drive 75!"

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

There's a stretch of I-10 between Alabama and Tallahassee where I can easily hit 100 without even realizing it, especially when driving a rental car. I've looked down several times and saw the needle pushing past 90 and never noticed I was going over the speed limit.

Now, in my car, thanks to my GPS system, I can't get above 85 without the GPS guy shouting at me to slow down.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As usual she plays the butthurt card and blames "a report in the media," despite being quoted as directly as it is possible to be.

Go to jail, bitch.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Man, people must have much less motion sense than I do. I get uncomfortable at 65.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"While I did not realize how fast I was going until I was pulled over and cited by a police officer, it is no excuse for the fact that I broke the law, plain and simple," Bunch said. "None of us are above the law, especially when it comes to safe driving on Kentucky's highways."

Bunch said the ticket was a valuable "lesson learned" and that she hopes others realize the importance of obeying speed limits.

"I especially hope it serves as a lesson to our younger drivers, and I will chalk this up personally as a lesson learned and strive harder as a public servant, as a teacher, and as a parent and grandparent to set a better example for all Kentuckians," Bunch said in the statement.

Geez, get off the cross. Classic example of a politician fucking up and then trying to make it into a heroic personal accomplishment.

Hey, it was a minor fuck-up. Speeding like hell, but shit like that happens once in a while. Quit turning it into a 25-inch story.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was in my late teens, early 20s, I ran up against the "points" limit on my driver's license and had to go through this two-year probationary period. I couldn't get any tickets the first year, and only one the second, otherwise my 3-month suspension would become a 6-month one. That two-year period effectively ended any and all tendencies toward a lead foot for me. Unless I am in a strange car, my inner sense is very good at telling me when I'm nearing 70. Beyond that, even if it's legal, I think I'd have a hard time with.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If I have people in the car with me, I won't push it past 70 or 75 -- depending on the flow of traffic. If I'm by myself, I'll go 77-80 -- especially if I'm driving on a long stretch of highway I know cops aren't patrolling.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Right outside Eugene, Oregon, I was driving to Seattle one time, looked down and I was at 95, didn't even know it. It was probably 8 pm, no traffic. I was just cruising.

Draft saved Draft deleted