1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you keep your knives sharp?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zeke12, May 9, 2007.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You always have to sharpen, but in the meantime, always handwash your knives and then place them in the block blade-side up. Maybe that's common knowledge, but you know, it wasn't for me when I learned it and I've had the same relatively cheaper set for quite a while now.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Hey Zeke.

Like you, I have a bunch of different knives in the kitchen (fine-edge; hollow-ground; old school chromium; restaurant supply-house discount/institutional), and like you find that routine (2 or 3x/year) sharpening is pretty monotonous with nothing but a whetstone. I've been shopping for a decent electric that won't overheat the blades or chew 'em up. Found this at Consumer Reports:

If you want an electric knife sharpener:
    Chef’s Choice Professional Sharpening Station, $140
    Russell Hobbs Classic Satin, $70

These have three guide slots for different sharpening stages. The Chef’s Choice’s tight slots ensured even, sharp edges. The Russell Hobbs didn’t sharpen and hone quite as well but is a good buy.

I imagine you can find them at varying prices around the internet. Good luck.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks, jg.

I think that's going on the birthday list...

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I can't stand the sound, so my wife sharpens them with a whetstone.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

blade side up? doesn't sound like a good idea if you have kids around.

i have mine on a magnet bolted to the wall. but once the little one arrives in the fall and is old enough to start walking around and reaching for stuff will get a block.

that said, i use a global water sharpener. it seems to work fine. we have a guy who drives around our neighborhood in a mobile knife sharpening van. i've seen him drive past twice in two years but have never been quick enough to catch him in time.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

One word. GINSU!!!!!!!

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

What I mean by blade-side up is: the blade still goes into the block, just the cutting side is toward the ceiling, not the floor; it prevents it from dulling each time you pull it from/place it back into the block.

Draft saved Draft deleted