1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you keep your knives sharp?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zeke12, May 9, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We have enough foodies on here that maybe I can glean some insight from some of you.

I have some serviceable knives that I sharpen once every two or three months with a stone. Otherwise, I just do some maintenance with the steel. That's getting to be a pretty big time commitment, though. Every time I do my 8" Chef's, 10" Chef's, boning, sankotu and two paring knives.

Does anyone have a sharpener that works? (For the most part, these suck, save for the industrial size models, but I'd love to hear from someone who has found a good home model.) Do they work for all knives, or only straight blades? (That would eliminate the boning and sankotu, but I think I could handle doing two at a time on the stone.)

Anyone send theirs out to a service or take them to the butcher shop?

Any other ideas?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wait for the neighborhood fixit guy to come around

[​IMG]

3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

You could always ask O.J.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I take my blades to the mall where I share tips on football coverage with the lady working the counter.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I got a great steel with my set. I go about five times on each side at an angle, keeps them sharp for at least three months.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome. That's the end of the thread folks.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Paging Pickle_Juice.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

But ... but, I was going to make a cutter joke.

Ah, fuck it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I use a Henckel's sharpener ... http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Sharp-32591-000-Twinsharp-Sharpener/dp/B00004RFMD/ref=sr_1_8/002-8322209-9550462?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1178741466&sr=1-8

It works well for quick touch-up work. About once a year, I'll do a serious sharpening on the kitchen knives. Usually in the fall when I'm working on my hunting knives.

Bravo Idaho, bravo.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ides, it's an honor.

GB --

The steel will keep you from having to sharpen as often, but does not actually sharpen your knife. Justs resets bent edges.

I use mine often enough that I need to sharpen every so often.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A steel and a wetstone is about all you need.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

ONLY reason I clicked on this thread title! :)

And JR's right, steel and a stone.

http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted