1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you handle "You Know?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jun 11, 2010.

1. But, to answer the thread's question, I just cut it out of the quote. As we can see in that transcript, it's redundant and not necessary.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Almost as redundant, you know, as if, you know, one were to, you know, hit quote to reply, you know, and leave the entire worthless transcript in said reply. You know?

3. Well, "Red," you know, I did make a mistake, you know. But, if I were you, you know, I wouldn't, you know, lose any sleep over it, you know?

4. writingump

writingump Member

I didn't get to see the interview of the artist known as "Big Baby," but Jankovic has broken my unofficial "you know" record of 28, previously held by Ralph Sampson. You know?

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

As do I. I've never used "you know" in a quote, and I edit it out if one of my reporters do.

6. bob

bob Member

Second behind y'know: "obviously." I'm hearing that a lot. And, obviously, it's unnecessary in most cases.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This, of course, goes back to the whole "cleaning up quotes" debate, and there are sharp divides on what people thing. AP says never do it in the stylebook -- and obviously does it all the time. I'm in the "clean them up within reason" camp, and think "you know" falls in that category.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Personally, I like you know.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I mean, yeah.

10. fightingwords1

fightingwords1 New Member

In a single post-fight interview with Max Kellerman a couple of years ago, welterweight Andre Berto popped "You know" in there 26 times.

It still wasn't as funny as this from Zab Judah:

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How about the phrase "like I said"?

I swear, I'll go talk to a coach and, on my first question, they'll use that phrase.

Me: "Coach, what's your reaction to the fact that your star player just got caught fucking a moose?"
    Coach: "Well, like I said, sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some".

What?

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Clean up the quotes. We don't have space to waste, you know, on people's nervous ticks and throat clears.

Draft saved Draft deleted