1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you handle "You Know?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

After hearing Big Baby's interview showered with "you know" I am exhausted. When quoting someone, you're supposed to be accurate. How do you handle "you know" in a quote?

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

i cut it and move on. completely unnecessary.

3. CR19

CR19 Member

I agree with MightMouse. My personal rule on these type of phrases (Uh, You Know, etc.) is that if it is unnecessary and doesn't make an impact on the person's quote, I just cut it. Nothing to be lost in an article over a simple phrase, you know?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I toss 'em all out the back door.

5. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

The only time I don't cut it is when it seems to add some feeling to the quote. For instance, maybe something like, "I just want a second chance, you know?" Or something like that. Tough to explain, but in some scenarios, it seems to add some emotion. Maybe nobody else hears it the way I do, and the phrase just clutters.

Very arbitrary method, I suppose. The simplest thing would be to cut it every single time.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You know - this is a good thread -- you know.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I, like, agree, you know?

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Same with the word, "just." You know?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I found myself devolving into "you knows" with disturbing regularity. I started to slap myself in the face with skull-rattling force whenever I caught myself doing it. A couple bloody lips later, problem solved.

As far as what to do with it in stories, cut it out unless it is an actual functional part of the quote.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Jelena Jankovic might be the absolute worst at doing this. Here's part of a news conference transcript from the French Open:

Q. You just couldn't seem to find your way into the match there, huh?
    JELENA JANKOVIC: The whole time I didn't really have a rhythm. Samantha played really well. She served well. Overall, you know, she played quite solid.
    But, you know, I felt heavy on my feet. I didn't really move out there. You know, that resulted in a negative way on every shot, because especially on the return I didn't have a good reaction.
    And then, you know, when I got into, you know, some of the points, when I had chances, I made, you know, bad mistakes. I just you know, it wasn't me. It wasn't my game out there. Unfortunately, I lost. She was the better player today.

Q. So was it nerves? I mean, second set you're up 2 0, 40 15 looked like maybe you had some kind of chance to get into it there.
    JELENA JANKOVIC: I wasn't nervous at all.
    I just maybe you know, I started the match, you know, kind of cold, maybe because, you know, that match, the first match finished quite quickly.
    So we had like 10, 15 minutes to get ready. I got kind of into the match quite cold, and, you know, I had a tough time moving.
    For some reason, I just never got into the match. You know, at 2 Love I had 40 15, but it's just sluggish, kind of.
    You know, maybe it would have been maybe you know, would make, you know, some kind of difference if I led 3 Love. You never know.
    But overall, I couldn't find my game out there. It was just difficult for me.

Q. You played her twice on hardcourts: Indian Wells, Miami. Can you just talk about the difference playing her on clay? It seems like everything she's hitting is pretty huge now.
    JELENA JANKOVIC: She's a strong girl. You can see, you know, by looking at her physically. You know, she can hit pretty big, and she has one of the strongest serves, you know, in the women's game.
    And especially, you know, for me, I have a good return. I always had and I never had kind of a problem, you know, returning these kind of big serves.
    But I just you know, it's very important to have a good reaction, to react. I just fell flat. So every time, you know, I felt late. I felt like too far from the ball. I never hit a clean ball.
    So that was a problem. And, you know, she took advantage of that. She won the match, and that is what counts.

(Even a reporter got into the act)

Q. A lot of players, including Pete Sampras, you know, have and Stefan Edberg at the US Open have kind of come to a moment at one point in their career where they said, you know, I'm better than this. I can't make excuses. I shouldn't be losing these matches. Does that ever play into your thinking, or do you think that's a legitimate question to ask yourself?
    JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. You know, in this moment it's tough to say all this. But, you know, in this particular match today, I just I don't know what happened, but I just you know, she was the better player.
    I mean, she did what she had to do. You know, she played her game. I wasn't even 20% of my ability, so that shows. When we played in Indian Wells and I was, you know, on my game, I was playing aggressively, I returned well. I won in two easy sets.
    Today I was just I wasn't like myself. I don't even know who that was on the court.

Q. She's obviously a player who has been around for a while. As a singles player, a decent one but never one of the top 5 or 10 players. Now she's looking like she is beating Justine and Serena and you consecutively. How is she doing it? Are you surprised at the kind of leap that she's made?
    JELENA JANKOVIC: To be honest, she kind of has like almost the game of a man. That's what it feels like. When I look at how the men play, she has kind of a similar she has a very good kick, which not many women can not women have. It's a very heavy, you know, spin.
    And then, you know, she runs around the forehand. You know, she has that kind of, and, you know, it's showing. She's been very impressive the last I don't know how many months. She has had pretty good results.

Q. Sorry to ask, but who do you think would have a better chance in the final, Samantha or Francesca?
    JELENA JANKOVIC: You know, so far, you know, I think Samantha has a very big chance. She played so well this tournament, and she has beaten, you know, I think the favorites of this tournament.
    So I think she has a good chance. You know, she's playing very, very well. I think she'll do it.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's bad. I stopped counting Big Baby's you knows at 115. It was ridiculous.

12. This reminds me of when I interviewed Rickie Weeks a couple of years ago. Nice guy, but he loves his "you knows." I can't say much though, being a Wisconsinite, it's deep-rooted in my vocabulary, unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted