1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Handle This?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 7, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe the SE is worried you are trying to game the system. Work 6 1/2 to seven hours one day and then claim 8 to 8 1/2 to get OT.

Why do you have to file in the office? If a game runs against deadline, does your story not go in the paper because you have to run back to the office?

I guess there's always the job in Mt. Vernon if you need to make a change.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Our deadline is midnight. So we're not usually up against it.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Let it go. The longer you force the issue, the more likely they'll be to whack you. And I suspect they'll be able to afford more legal fees than you will.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's just retarded.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

You're not allowed to work from home? Why?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Even the worst bosses I've had allowed us to work from home. Some just required us to work our first eight hours each day in the office. After that, working from home wasn't just accepted, it was strongly encouraged. ;D

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Are you sure that your work schedule is the only reason he's got a beef with you? It sounds like there may be something underlying there.

As for dealing with someone who's that unreasonable, maybe you need to find someone in HR or speak to the ME about it.

Believe me, I'm one of the bosses who tells people "I don't care what hours you work as long as the work gets done." Difference is, I mean it.

8. Pete Incaviglia

I can't think of a single reason why he'd be upset with me — other than this situation.

I've never called in sick, never missed an assignment or deadline. I don't "talk back." I simply work, and work hard when I do.

The guy is old, old school. Like I said, he measure productivity and worth by bylines and hours in the office. It's ridiculous.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Because, how would my SE know I'm actually working? (see other posts about his old schoolness, etc.)

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wow.

All he did was ask about your Monday hours.

and then, you go on to say:

Sounds as though the problems between you two go way deeper and just a minor dispute over hours.

Perhaps you two are in major need of one of those male-bonding weekends in the wilderness.

You might be amazed at the truths that come out when you're holding the talking stick.

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

Could you be misinterpreting your editor's email response?

I'm pretty sure every editor in the business these days has been instructed to avoid overtime at all costs. That's probably just what he's doing. Just asking a question to cover his own butt.

You sent back a response. Leave it at that.

Not saying you shouldn't stick up for yourself ... but I'm not sure it's wise to pick a fight over 30 minutes of OT, especially because a game went long (extra innings, overtime, late starts ... that kind of goes with the territory.) Again, I know nothing of your job environment, but this sounds kind of petty -- and something a managing editor would remember when he is told to make newsroom cuts.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That was my point exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted