1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you guys start an interview?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

And it still doesn't matter. Whatever works for you is different from whatever works for me. I'll take criticism to heart when it comes from the people who sign my paychecks. That's all that matters.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I bring Coach bagels, too.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Do you give him a reach-around, too?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Whatever it takes.

5. Glad you set your standards high. Do your bosses even know you do that?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like to come out of the box with, "What's up, Knight?"

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Wow, Crimson. Wow. With that attitude and approach, you sound like the Rich Kotite of budding journalists.

8. Ya know, small talk sounds all fine and dandy to lead off with, but 95% of athletes/coaches I've dealt with have little or no use for it. They're coming off the field/court after a three-hour practice or wanting to get the hell outta there or on the bus after a game. It's nice that you ask about their girlfriend or mom or dog, but generally they just want to get the interview over with and move on.

If there is time for chit-chat, it's after you're wrapped up and you close the notebook. If somebody seems to be willingly hanging around, knock yourself out. But you'll find most of the time that they're giving you that "got what you need?" look and already heading for the door.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

uhhhm, no, actually crimson, you don't take criticism from the folks who sign your paychecks to heart. you might want to read a few of your own posts ... and believe it or not chief, you might not know it all after a year or two of experience.

if i were that type of guy i'd say "fucking kids these days," but i'm not, so i won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted