1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you guys attribute stories???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YoungGun7, Jul 7, 2007.

1. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

Do you break up the story half way, with a: he said or he explains?

Or do you wait until the end and come up with something clever.
  2. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Said is a perfectly fine word.
  3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Use said. Otherwise, more then likely, you're going to piss off your copy editor if she has to change all your mentions, explains, etc.
  4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not sure what you're asking here. Please explain.
  5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I always use words like inveigled, pontificated, obfuscated, pantomimed and infused. It's our job as the arbiters of public good will to be descriptive to the readers.
  6. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

OK, your interviewing some first baseman. He tells you a story his most embarrassing moment. You want to use it in your story, but the quote in four sentences long.

Do you break up the four sentences half way through with a he said, or he explains. Or do you just write the quote with no attribution until the end?
  7. sportschick

You break it up after the first sentence with a so-and-so said.

You generally break up quotes more then a sentence long.
  8. I've always been told to put attribution following the first sentence in a quote.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ai Yi Yi YI YI YI YI YI. Not you, too??!! I'm going to go beat my head against a wall.
  10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hint: SC, it's than.

Now someone go check on Moddy to make sure he hasn't knocked himself unconscious.
  11. sportschick

Dammit! I had than and then I changed it.

Sorry Moddy :-[
  12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Also, remember there is no problem with using a multiple paragraph quote. There is nothing I hate more than my copy editor inexplicably changing a two paragraph quote into a monstrous one-paragraph quote.

For example, from a Seattle PI story:

"I think I played in the post really well, and I think I played good defense," Kevin Durant said. "It's a different pace, it's much faster. Everybody is good up here.

"I'm not worried about the pressure or attention. It's just basketball, I'm just here to get better and help us get better as a team."

The copy editor at my paper would have turned that into one big paragraph and that annoys me.
Draft saved Draft deleted