1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you go from covering preps to a college beat?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Nov 5, 2008.

1. strunk_you

strunk_you Member

i don't think i've read anything more true this year.

i've seen a complete lack of talent and a proven inability to report on deadline be completely thrown out the window in a case just like you're describing, ohiowriter.

it's pretty disheartening to ponder how many hard-working people with some skills and desire might be slaving away in the trenches while nothing more than a warm body gets promoted elsewhere in some twisted journalistic game of duck, duck, goose.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was thinking exactly that with a "glug, glug" attached to the end.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Yeah, but my paper doesn't have a college beat writer, which brings up my question, because I'll have to move to another paper and I assume they wouldn't give me a college beat without any regular experience covering college.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

NEVER sell yourself short Jay. The only thing stopping you, is you.

5. I think about the only way in this era is to go somewhere as a stronger or part-timer, somewhere with regular college beats, and kind of wait for the dominoes to fall.

I think the chances of moving from a prep beat somewhere small directly into a major college beat somewhere else is absolutely miniscule in 2008.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Heck, it doesn't have to be a major college beat. I live within 2 hours of three major cities with an abundance of Division 1 schools around each one of them. Few of them are in BCS conferences, most are in one-bid NCAA conferences for b-ball.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

you get a job at a paper that has a college beat. there will be chances to move up from there.

8. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

Can you ask to cover more of the local colleges at your paper? You could get some clips from that and also network more with some of the writers that cover those schools.

9. Also, if you're willing to move, I think there are some Scout and Rivals sites that could use operators.

Draft saved Draft deleted