1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you go about selecting All-Area/All-Bi-City teams other than football?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JM22720, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Our esteemed competition, a start-up web site claiming to be the "largest newspaper in town" despite not having a print product and web traffic numbers that are about a tenth of what we get, put out its all-county football team last week on the same day as ours.
    In a town with four high schools, their offensive team had eight linemen, three quarterbacks, five running backs and three receivers. Their coach of the year was a junior high coach. Several names were flat-out wrong. Out of about 35 players overall on the team, they had "No photo available" tags for about half of them. Just a lazy, awful product all around.
    And yet people were still telling them what a great job they did on Facebook. It makes me want to scream into a pillow.

HanSenSE, SFIND and Della9250 like this.
  2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I figured it was at least that far back.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In my hometown area, "minor sports" are essentially played in secret. The "mid-size metro," where I worked for three years as a stringer in the 1980s, gets maybe a half dozen prep agate results per night during the sports seasons. Of course their page space has shrunk to nothing, so they'd have nowhere to put it if they got it.
    They covered 52 schools BACK INNN MYYYY DAYYYYY, I think now because of consolidations and other factors they're probably down to about 40.
    So among these 40 schools, the districts still each offering an average of about 10 varsity sports per gender per year.
    Little-bitty small-county schools may only offer 3-4 sports per gender, but the big metro area schools offer up to 16. Anyway overall I'd guess the average is about 10. So multiply that by two genders, by 40 schools, then subtract 80 boys' basketball and football teams which get most of the media coverage, and you still have roughly 720 varsity teams in the area; 200+ per season.
    They get reports on maybe a couple dozen events per week.
    Many teams now run their own team pages on Facebook or MaxPreps or the school district's own web page, etc etc, but I'd put that figure at probably 25%. Many or most of the pages on MaxPreps are several years out of date.
    So bottom line, 90+ percent of the "minor" prep sports never get covered at all, by anyone.
    Hell, for that matter, on football and basketball Fridays, because of a 9 p.m. deadline, they rarely get more than a couple games in anyway. And you can imagine how enthusiastic coaches are about calling in day-old results on Saturday, so in Sunday's paper they usually get capsule reports from maybe a dozen games or so, scores only on another 20 or so, and then nuthin' out of about 20.
    The state HS athletic association does require football and basketball teams to send in their scores for playoff point purposes, so that's the default source if you need to know a team's WL record. Beyond that, good luck.

All-Area teams?!? (Jacking-off gesture.)

Draft saved Draft deleted