1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you get rid of computer viruses?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Apr 20, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This is killing me. A Kaspersky online scan tells me my computer has two viruses infecting four files. I've tried to get rid of them by using AVG, LiveOne Care (or whatever the Microsoft online thing is) and Malware Bytes. AVG and MB don't find it and the MS one finds it, says it's serious but can't do anything about it.

I've got to the system folder where Kaspersky says they are (C:\Windows\System32\bycool1\windo.exe) and that folder doesn't appear. I get as far as the System32 thing and then a whole bunch of unrelated stuff, even when I go to "view hidden files," which is what my brother, the computer tech, suggested.

Tried to get a free trial of Kaspersky (I'm currently in the only job that pays less than journalism right now) and for some reason I don't get the email it says it sends me to register and download.

Any computer gurus who can help? I've tried Googling, but the best I can get is "Serious threat: remove."

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

You unleash the new Lions logo on your PC. [/crossthreading]

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yikes!

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Trojan called "Backdoor" ...

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=6a9ab335190d42f6f00d7440cfb08252

http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=56713

Have you updated AVG? Manually update it and try again. (All Windows users should have all anti-malware products set to automatically update on a daily basis.) Also try Avast! Antivirus and Spybot! Search And Destroy. Don't access anything that requires a password until you've removed Backdoor.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Buy a Mac.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You beat me to it.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've found that, if you boil your CPU for at least 20 minutes, all viruses will be destroyed.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Next up: Actualy following my advice.

Something got into my hunk of crap PC a few weeks ago. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to fix it, I said fuck it and performed a complete system restore. I had all my shit saved on a portable hard drive so I didn't care, but it was still a pain in the ass.

The day I ditch PCs (hopefully in the next six months) will be a glorious fucking day.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The first thing to do is to shut down your system and unplug it for 30 seconds. Then grab the PCU and chuck it out the nearest window!!! Virus gone. Hope that helps.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm surprised it was up this long before getting this response.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or buy a PC and use Linux (free! uses less resources! does more stuff! dual-boots with Windows for that one app you just have to have!) instead of Windows. 8)

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Until you realize you have to go through six pages of discussion forum searches to find the solution to your Linux bug, or you realize that you paid $1,300 for a Mac with the same capabilities of a $600 PC.

Rick
    (who has never gotten a noticeable virus in 12 years of owning a PC. I don't know how you people do it :) And yes, he dual-boots both his laptop and his desktop with Windows and Linux, though rarely uses the Linux)

Draft saved Draft deleted