1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you find out up-to-the-minute info about a property?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There's a property in my neighboorhood that was bought by a flipper. I did some digging and found out the owner was given a "no doc" ARM at a rate of over 9% - whoa.

The owner was not able to flip the house, and he isn't a particularly nice fella -- I won't go into the specifics, just take my word for it.

Short term renters have been living in the house - not especially great for the neighborhood, but whatever.

Anyhoo, awhile back I noticed a foreclosure sign posted outside the house. 2 days later it was gone, and I saw the owner of the house working in the yard (despite a renter currently living there.)

How do I find out the current status of this property?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Go to your county recorder's office.

3. Lugnuts

What's that? You mean my Town Hall?

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Most of the counties where I live have websites that you can use to access property information including foreclosures. Do a google search typing in the name of the county and "property information."

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The recorder's office is the place where all real estate transactions are recorded; they record who is the owner of the property. Until the title deed is recorded, you are not the owner recognized by everyone.

If you take the address of the property you are talking about, they should give you what is called the "chain of title" which shows who has owned the property for the past 5-10 years including the current owner.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you know a real estate agent, call him/her. They can get that information with no problem.

7. Lugnuts

OK. That helps. I don't think it's called the "recorder's office" here, but I may be able to figure out where to go.

I tried Google. It was listed as a foreclosure for awhile, but not anymore.

I did get the info about his mortgage from a real estate agent, but because foreclosures aren't listed through MLS, that's all info the agent had.

That sign said the property was set to auction on May __. But seeing the owner fix up the house confuses me on that front.

Incidentally, the renter is moving out today.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

In some states, even if the house sells at an auction, the owner foreclosed on can bring the mortgage current, pay some fees to the folks who bought the house and retake ownership. Better check into your state's foreclosure laws.

9. Lugnuts

Ugh - I was afraid of something like that.

The fact that this was listed as a "Lis Pendens" on foreclosure listings all over the web two weeks ago and now is not tells me he either got it out of foreclosure somehow (although the real estate agent told me if an auction sign was posted, "rest assured, the bank owns it.") ... OR the property sold.

But if it sold, then why would he be sprinkling grass seed outside it right now as we speak?

Maybe he's fixing it up for the auction so he can recoup the maximum amount of money?? Probably wishful thinking.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Property Shark is a good resource.

Draft saved Draft deleted