1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about your local police department?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Nov 26, 2014.

?

How do you feel about your local police department?

1. I feel protected and served by my local police department

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. I feel protected, but not served by my local police department

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I feel served, but not protected by my local police department

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I feel neither protected nor served by my local police department

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I guess like the fire department. I'm glad they're there, and hope that they're good in case of emergency, but have no first hand experience other than being pulled over twice.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I feel for the undermanned local department that does not have enough officers to patrol a city of 80,000 with an ever-growing criminal element moving in.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For professional reasons, I have dealings with the local policia.

There's some I know and friendly with and will say hello if I see them working private security or just out and about.

As far as regular interaction, I've been pulled over once in the last nine years and as a white, middle class guy in a gated neighborhood and who drives a reasonably nice Passat, I don't expect to have much dealings with cops and don't think about them much.

That's about as much interaction I've had with the fire department as well, as I've also called them once in the last nine years.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I live in the nicer part of a small town. Technically, it's a separate town for the purposes of police and fire, just so the old upper-middle-class people here can pay for a really nice police force that drives around keeps an eye on any scary poor or young or minority people who happen to wander down from the north side of town.

I don't mind at all. But I'd probably dislike them a lot more if I actually knew them and their Facebook feeds or whatever.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This seems like a very fair and reasonable take. I've dealt with quite a few members of the local department and the one in the neighboring town for work and found most of them to be good guys trying to do the job the right way. I have had the good fortune not to run into many of the "authoritarian douchebags," as you so eloquently put it, but I am well aware that they exist.

You are going to find good people and bad ones in any profession. The problem is that the bad ones in law enforcement can be particularly dangerous if they choose to be, so they tend to stand out a little more.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know several guys on the force. I like them. They're good people. But the stories they tell me about the political BS and junk that happens behind the scenes makes me really consider the level of assholes in the PD to be very high.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm fine with our police but I do think some of the departments where I live "nickle-and-dime" law-abiding citizens over things like blowing a stop sign or wearing a seat belt while driving safely.

I do find this whole dynamic between the TV people on FOX, MSNBC and CNN and police in a lower-class area like Ferguson to be laughable. Most of the anchors are rich kids and they're trying to get into the minds of police officers, who, generally, didn't have the mobility options of a Chris Cuomo.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I live on the outskirts of a city of 25,000 not far from a big metro area. City cops spend a lot of time lying in wait for speeders. I think their priority is revenue collecting. County sheriff's department guys are OK for the most part.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good thread, Alma.

I'm like a lot of people on this thread, 44-year-old white male living in a nice part of the city. Not a lot of contact, although we're concerned with a seemingly growing number of neighbourhood break-ins. (A Toyota Highlander has been stolen twice from my driveway since June 2013.)

The one thing me and my friends wonder about is the kind of crime police now deal with. Take our two stolen SUVs for the example. The first one they found, in a crate, about to be shipped overseas. That's a very dangerous element you're dealing with. There's so much more money now in international criminal activity, whether in stolen goods, drugs, weapons, etc; it seems a lot more complex than, what, 10 years ago? 15?

Add that to what you face locally, I just think it's so much harder. The police aren't perfect and can bring problems on themselves, but the level of sophistication and danger is greater, too.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Some of my best friends are black! cops!

No really. One who patrols our neighborhood is one of my closest friends, one is the father of one of my son's best friends, one is my next-door neighbor, and a half-dozen others I'd consider myself close enough to that I would see them at parties and feel like I could call them for help if needed.

They deal with a lot of shit. We have real gang and drug problems here. My kids can't wear any red or any team sports jerseys to school because of the gang problems. I am mostly sympathetic to the cops' outlook. But the ones I've seen share a common trait of wanting to (or feeling like they need to) escalate every situation to the point where they can show who's boss. I don't think it's necessary most of the time.

The other part of this is that a lot of police forces are in the middle of a pension/benefits fight, and when the public votes against them in those matters they feel like it's because the public is against them in everything they do. That's a completely wrong outlook IMO but one that plays a big role in the us-vs.-them mentality, at least out here.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know most of the cops in my small ruby-red enclave. They had one on the force in the last 8 years or so who would write his great-grandmother a ticket, but he vamoosed long ago. The African-American cop who worked the night shift was the coolest one of the lot.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I live in China and will recuse myself from this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted