1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"How do you feel about working with younger people?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Sep 26, 2016.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Was asked this very question in a job interview last week. My response: How do you feel about asking that question?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It sounds like the type of question an older, out-of-touch newspaper editor might ask.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It was asked by an older Latin woman, who didn't appreciate the acrid irony. Oh, and not for a journo job.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Combative response in a job interview, not a tactic I use.

Ace likes this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"I don't mind working with them. I only have problems with them during nonworking hours when they won't turn down that noise and stay the hell outta my yard!"

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd have been able to answer "at my age, I feel it's pretty much inevitable."

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what would be a proper response?

1. No problem. I find I can drink them all under the table.
    2. I love working with younger people. The younger the better! Do you have photos?
    3. I love it. I keep up with all the youngsters on Twitterbook and everything.
    4. I'm OK with it, except that reminds me I'm not allowed to play Santa at the office Christmas party. It's a legal thing.

Batman likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. I love younger people. Ask my wife of 9 years.
    6. I don't mind working with younger people. As long as they aren't black [use racial slur for proper effect].
    7. I prefer working with younger people. No peer pressure.
    8. Do you mean all of the interns I saw walking around when I came in?

Batman and Ace like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"I'm with it. I'm hip."

[​IMG]

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Considering the amount of griping about Millennials around here, I'm surprised anyone would find this question very strange.
    There is a lot written about cross-generational management and the characteristics of Millennials in the work place.

If I were asked such a question, I'd say something like: I enjoy the energy that young people bring, and I appreciate their ability to adapt to challenges and new ideas. I think it is helpful to clearly explain expectations and provide detailed explanations of how various job duties and projects support the organization's strategic goals and objectives; however, those are two things that benefit employees of all ages.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're hired!

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"They're fine if they stay out of the way and let the grown-ups do their work in peace."

Draft saved Draft deleted