1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, May 13, 2007.

1. Yeah, but he's got one hell of a spare in his trunk.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's up to each writer in the sense that each writer needs to know his or her own limits. Is the gift going to be something that compromises his or her ability to report fairly about the game, even if that means including facts that make the home team (or the team you're covering) look bad? If so, don't take the gift.

3. Don't take the gift, period. No need to first ask oneself the question of whether or not it compromises the ability to report fairly on the team/event.

Your integrity and pride are well worth the $12.95 you could spend on an unrelated T-shirt or hat at Wal-Mart that you can wear around and avoid the issue completely.

4. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

We have a quarterly silent auction for all the shit that's sent to editorial. I don't ask when I'm in the field. If someone offers me something I say "no thanks." If they persist I say I'll take it and put it in the silent auction, which goes to pay for our annual adopt-a-family drive at Christmas.

Usually we're talking T-shirts or hats. Some guy sent me a desk clock once.

With the folks I deal with, most of them are high school coaches/boosters/local event planners. I had one assistant walk up and hang a handful of shirts over my shoulder while I was talking to a player. The coach just walked off. So, other than take them like a jackass or leave them in the locker room and run the risk of offending them, I gave them to some high school kids on my way back out through the gym.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The auction thing is a good idea. I've also seen a lot of writers give hats, balls, t-shirts or whatever to little kids outside of the ball park. That is probably my favorite way to handle it.

Draft saved Draft deleted